Z offset

Post your advice, tips, suggestions, etc...
Atocha

Z offset

Post by Atocha » Sun Jan 31, 2016 5:12 pm

I love the M2. I get great prints but I need to re level everytime I change my blue tape. This really drove me nuts until I stumble on a system that works for me. My question is, Is there a specialty wrench I can buy that lets me adjust the Z offset without cursing the lack of space to do this task?

Jules

Re: Z offset

Post by Jules » Sun Jan 31, 2016 8:02 pm

You actually don't have to change the Z-Stop (which is what you're doing) every time if you just adjust the Z-Offset in the software when you change out the tape. It's a whole lot easier and just requires printing a couple of calibration squares.

Instructions here:

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=3124

But if you absolutely want to keep changing the Z-stop, I like to use this:

http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:198811

:D

insta

Post by insta » Sun Jan 31, 2016 8:03 pm

Undo the entire nut/bolt assembly and reassemble it with the nut on the underside of the spider (but the bolt head still on top).

Relevel your bed, but this time jack the screws down as tight as they go and loosen them to level, instead of the other way around.
Custom 3D printing for you or your business -- quote [at] pingring.org

jsc

Post by jsc » Mon Feb 01, 2016 12:14 am

On the v4, you can just loosen the nozzle screw and drop it down to your surface. Use a shim to get the separation you like. Use gcode z-offset to fine tune if necessary.

TGAW

Post by TGAW » Mon Feb 01, 2016 4:39 pm

This is definitely not the *right* way, but if you need a quick hack to "raise" your bolt, I have...uh... stuck little pieces of painters tape on top of my bolt until I got it to where I wanted. : )

sthone

Post by sthone » Mon Feb 01, 2016 7:55 pm

TGAW wrote:This is definitely not the *right* way, but if you need a quick hack to "raise" your bolt, I have...uh... stuck little pieces of painters tape on top of my bolt until I got it to where I wanted. : )
Hell... thats not a bad Idea :lol: I'm going to try this with my switch on the new leveling system instead of running through the software every time I need a little more "squish"for certain prints. Thanks for the tip. :D