Best Simplify3D settings for printing PLA without a raft?

Post your advice, tips, suggestions, etc...
Fusion916

Best Simplify3D settings for printing PLA without a raft?

Post by Fusion916 » Thu Mar 03, 2016 10:54 pm

Settings such as extruder temp, bed temp, fan controls, first layer height, etc. I have been trying to print without a raft and I cannot get a consistent quality print without one.

Tim

Re: Best Simplify3D settings for printing PLA without a raft

Post by Tim » Fri Mar 04, 2016 1:25 am

If you're having to use a raft with PLA, your main problem is getting the first layer to stick to the bed. What are you using on the bed for adhesion? If you use bare glass, it has to be squeaky clean. If you want PLA first-layer adhesion to be a cinch, just use hairspray. But make sure that the bed is level and at the right distance from the nozzle. Some people seem to think PLA prints well on an unheated bed, but I have to run the bed at 60 degrees C. Always run the fan at full blast from layer 2 and up.

Fusion916

Post by Fusion916 » Fri Mar 04, 2016 3:40 am

Tim wrote:If you're having to use a raft with PLA, your main problem is getting the first layer to stick to the bed. What are you using on the bed for adhesion? If you use bare glass, it has to be squeaky clean. If you want PLA first-layer adhesion to be a cinch, just use hairspray. But make sure that the bed is level and at the right distance from the nozzle. Some people seem to think PLA prints well on an unheated bed, but I have to run the bed at 60 degrees C. Always run the fan at full blast from layer 2 and up.
I'm using bare glass, but my glass (it seems) came with a layer of that kapton tape on it. Is that not sufficient? Do I also need hairspray?

I have been using 70C for the heated bed, I'll try to reduce to 60. Also, what about the first layer height?

willnewton

Post by willnewton » Fri Mar 04, 2016 2:20 pm

Lots of hairspray folks around, glue stick folks as well. I am a blue painter's tape guy. I have never touched the Kapton roll that came with my printer. Even totally bare glass can be done, but you REALLY have to have your settings nailed down.

Your M2 should be able to print without a raft, except in some very special cases.

Chances are good you need to tweak your first layer height for better adhesion.

Check the stickied "Getting Started" guide by Jules in the How-to forum for more details on getting a good first layer.

Check to see if you are making a round thread or a slightly flattened rectangle. Round is too high, rectangle is just right, squished out flat line is too tight.

The easiest way to tweak it is adjusting your Z-axis offset. If you are using S3D go to the G-code tab and try -.10mm and see if that helps. I use.10mm increments to get close and .05 to fine tune.
I'm finally back to where I started two days ago!

A thread with some stuff in it I update every once in a while. viewtopic.php?f=8&t=9
See some of my stuff http://www.thingiverse.com/willnewton/favorites