First Layer

Post your advice, tips, suggestions, etc...
dklassen

First Layer

Post by dklassen » Sun Mar 27, 2016 5:38 pm

What causes this? I've tried different temps, Z off sets, etc. Bed is pretty dead level except for the slight Makergear hump on the x.

Thanks!
Attachments
IMG_3418.jpg

Jules

Re: First Layer

Post by Jules » Sun Mar 27, 2016 7:03 pm

Uneven adhesion in those spots? (Check for greasy spots on the tape - clean with alcohol or vinegar.) Slight over/under extrusion? Bed a bit too close to the nozzle?

As soon as one of those blasted little ripples forms, the effect gets magnified into waves of ripples. It usually corrects itself in subsequent layers, but it does leave kind of a funky surface pattern on the bottom of the print, so if that's important, I'd re-do it.

jsc

Post by jsc » Sun Mar 27, 2016 7:31 pm

First layer ripples are generally caused by overextrusion.

dklassen

Post by dklassen » Sun Mar 27, 2016 10:08 pm

I clean the bed with denatured alcohol before each print so I know it's nice and clean. Seems to do it on the back half of the bed. I turned the part sideways and printed on the front half and it was much better. Guess I need to check level again although I just did it. Only seems to do it in spots.

Jules

Post by Jules » Sun Mar 27, 2016 10:20 pm

Yeah, if the front half of the bed prints differently from the back half, that's a level problem. (Probably just starting, and easy to fix when it's that small.)

Have you seen Steve's diagram? (I use that and with one quick tweak it solves the problem.) It's actually the second Diagram down in the comments section on this thread:
Bed Level Cheat Sheet.

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=2783