bonding tip

Post your advice, tips, suggestions, etc...
psd

bonding tip

Post by psd » Tue May 17, 2016 5:05 pm

IMG_1436.JPG

I have been experimenting with the perfect way to bond PLA and have found a flawless solution. Superglue CA leaves a terrible white halo, and is not a perfect bond nor gluing method. Epoxy is messy and adds material.

I use an acrylic solvent to weld the two parts together perfectly and without discoloration or additional materials added. It basically melts the PLA to join it to the next part.
You can apply through a applicator bottle with hypodermic needle.

You can either hold or clamp two parts together and squeeze some along the seam (be careful it is water thin and comes out quickly) or you can apply a bit to one surface and put them together.

they bond instantly., there is no discoloration and no adhesive build up.

You can also use the solvent to smooth surfaces if you experiment and learn its flow and effects.

links to products us bought below.

amazon.com/SCIGRIP-10799-Acrylic-Solvent-Water-thin/dp/B00466V8F0?ie=UTF8&psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s00

amazon.com/Applicator-Bottle-Stainless-Steel-Needle/dp/B00BNI6TOE?ie=UTF8&psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o05_s00
- peter,

innovative product designer and tinkerer

www.petersolomondesign.com

jsc

Re: bonding tip

Post by jsc » Tue May 17, 2016 5:37 pm

:D
viewtopic.php?f=11&t=2786
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=12 under Gluing Parts

I once tried to figure out a) what's the relationship between SciGrip and Weld-On, and b) what's the difference between #3 and #4. I don't think I succeeded.

psd

Post by psd » Tue May 17, 2016 5:46 pm

JSC, i don't know but I do know that my Sci-Grip works perfectly and easily.

If you are not bonding perfectly smooth surfaces, you can use a trick I used to use back in old hand model making days:
apply solvent to both surfaces abundantly to make them a bit gooey and then push together and they will meet and weld.
- peter,

innovative product designer and tinkerer

www.petersolomondesign.com

Matt_Sharkey

Post by Matt_Sharkey » Tue May 17, 2016 6:01 pm

jsc wrote: b) what's the difference between #3 and #4. I don't think I succeeded.
basically fixture time.
#3 is faster with 1 min working time, 2 min fixture time, 24 hr to bond.
#4 is fast but not as much, 1-2 min working time, 3 min fixture time, 72 hr to bond

Tim

Post by Tim » Tue May 17, 2016 6:36 pm

jsc wrote:I once tried to figure out a) what's the relationship between SciGrip and Weld-On
www.scigrip.com says, quote, "SCIGRIP combines the leading adhesive brands of Weld-On Structural Adhesives, Holdtite and Macroplexx into a new global brand of Smarter Adhesive Solutions." So now you know, but like me, you're probably not all that much enlightened by it. Probably came out of negotiations during the merger.

I guess if you merge two adhesives companies, you better know what you're doing. . . if they come apart, it's going to look bad. . .

ednisley

Post by ednisley » Tue May 17, 2016 8:45 pm

psd wrote:apply solvent to both surfaces abundantly to make them a bit gooey and then push together
Yeah, but whenever I do that, jimc gets on my case:
viewtopic.php?f=11&t=2786&start=10#p17325

He's the Chuck Norris of finish detailing, though; we mere mortals must be content with our lot in life...

jimc

Post by jimc » Wed May 18, 2016 1:15 pm

ednisley wrote:
psd wrote:apply solvent to both surfaces abundantly to make them a bit gooey and then push together
Yeah, but whenever I do that, jimc gets on my case:
viewtopic.php?f=11&t=2786&start=10#p17325

He's the Chuck Norris of finish detailing, though; we mere mortals must be content with our lot in life...

Hahahahaha :lol: