Scaling and Horizontal Offset

Post your advice, tips, suggestions, etc...
makeal

Re: Scaling and Horizontal Offset

Post by makeal » Sun Mar 10, 2019 3:58 pm

Hi Zemlin . Question- can these be used with different printer and slicer? Or are these specific to makergear and s3d?

zemlin

Post by zemlin » Tue Mar 12, 2019 4:05 pm

This procedure is not specific to Makergear or S3D.

makeal

Post by makeal » Thu Mar 14, 2019 3:52 pm

zemlin wrote:
Tue Mar 12, 2019 4:05 pm
This procedure is not specific to Makergear or S3D.
Thank you. Going to test it out today

mopikoa

Post by mopikoa » Tue Mar 17, 2020 7:49 pm

Thank you for providing this tool. I realized how much I need this when I print some ball joints and threaded nuts. I encounter a problem during the calibration when I was measuring the 5mm outside for Y. I measured all possible edges got 4 reading but they do not agree with each other.

This might be kinda out of the scope of this seems to be a problem beyond the scaling and offset issue. Does this suggest there is some problem with my printer?

zemlin

Post by zemlin » Tue Mar 17, 2020 8:45 pm

IMHO, it's all within the realm of realistic manufacturing tolerances. A small difference between pulley diameters for the belts could impact the travel distance. The belts are toothed so that would help minimize it, but I don't believe a small difference between axes is something to be concerned about. If it was on precision ball screws, that would be another story.

mopikoa

Post by mopikoa » Wed Mar 18, 2020 2:19 am

zemlin wrote:
Tue Mar 17, 2020 8:45 pm
IMHO, it's all within the realm of realistic manufacturing tolerances...
I am not too sure the expected precision and accuracy so thank you for pointing that out. I am not looking for a very tight tolerance but just to make sure my M2 is printing properly.

It seems taking multiple measurements and use the average for the calibration makes sense then.

airscapes

Post by airscapes » Wed Mar 18, 2020 4:56 pm

Differences in printed size can also be attributed to the nozzle size, model size and slicers ability. The larger the nozzle and the smaller the part it is printing the more you have issues.. I find when I design a part that has a hole in it, my hole needs to be .4mm larger to achieve my goal With a .35 nozzle the results than when using the .75 nozzle. My Y is spot on and X is .05ish mm smaller .. I just design around this if it is going to matter.. These are just observations and I have not spent a lot of time trying to figure it out. For instance, I was making Tim's Chess set and found the tiles printed standing on end were smaller by about .05 in the X direction. Since both sides needed to be sanded, I was able to make them equal and had a good outcome. I do not understand how this can be fixed as but would love to have both X and Y exactly the same.

mopikoa

Post by mopikoa » Wed Mar 18, 2020 8:28 pm

I see in the excel sheet the offset for all X, Y, and Z must be equal. What does it do to the calibration?

zemlin

Post by zemlin » Thu Jun 11, 2020 3:41 am

mopikoa wrote:
Wed Mar 18, 2020 8:28 pm
I see in the excel sheet the offset for all X, Y, and Z must be equal. What does it do to the calibration?
Sorry for the slow response - I don't hang out here much anymore (no MakerGear printers these days) ...
Slicers I've used have a shared horizontal offset value for X and Y, but it doesn't apply to Z.
The Z scale is pretty much machine dependent and is not impacted by filament or print settings.

In my experience, it's rare that X and Y accuracy is optimized with a scaling factor alone.
Scale factor impacts all dimensions proportionally. Small features are impacted by scale less than large features.
Horizontal offset impacts all dimensions by the same amount. By optimizing both the scale and offset values, you'll be able to achieve dimensional accuracy at both ends of the dimensional range.

mopikoa

Post by mopikoa » Fri Aug 21, 2020 11:08 pm

No worries. Thank you so much for the explanation!