Tip/Guide for making easy Screens, Gaurds, Ect. in S3D

Post your advice, tips, suggestions, etc...
sthone

Tip/Guide for making easy Screens, Gaurds, Ect. in S3D

Post by sthone » Tue Jul 26, 2016 1:24 am

Gaurd1.jpg
I found this quick way of making screens type guards and such in Simplify3D yesterday using the Fast Honeycomb infill setting and thought I'd share.

For a simple guard you can start with a simple block of what ever size/thickness you need. Import it into S3D set your Internal Infill to Fast Honeycomb (or any pattern) and the Infill percentage to around 10-20% and then just set your Top & Bottom Solid Layers to 0 and your outline Layers to what ever size rim you need (20 in this example) and .......
Gaurd2.jpg
.... presto quick simple Screen Guards. :D
Gaurd3.jpg
Now if you need something with actual mounting holes it's pretty easy too. You design it solid to the right specs. (In this example it would be 3" x 3" with a .25" thick mounting flange with holes.)

Using two different processes you can get the screen as well as the solid mounting rim. The first Process prints the cage pattern until a certain height, then the second Process prints the solid parts of the objects. The settings I used for this example would be...

Process 1 settings...

(Layer Tab)
Layer Height = .20
Top & Bottom Solid Layers = 0
Outlines/Perimeter Shells = 6

(Infill Tab)
Infill percentage = 12%
Internal Fill = Fast Honeycomb
External Fill = Rectilinear

(Advanced Tab)
Stop Printing at 3.17mm (this is dependent on your screen thickness and layer height)

Process 2 settings...

(Layer Tab)
Layer Height = .20
Top & Bottom Solid Layers = 2
Outlines/Perimeter Shells = 2

(Infill Tab)
Infill percentage = 80%
Internal Fill = Rectilinear
External Fill = Rectilinear

(Advanced Tab)
Start Printing at 3.17mm (this is dependent on your screen thickness and layer height)
Gaurd4.jpg
and this is what you would get.
Gaurd5.jpg
The bottom view. (The outline Perimeter Shells of the first process could be adjusted to coincide with the top rim but the flange around the screw holes would also enlarge into the screen portion.)

Using this method you could create many useful items like animal cages, screen guards, sifting screens, etc by just adjusting the infill percentage to achieve the size holes you would like.

Now I didn't actually print a guard so I can't show you the finished project but I did print a fun little Minnow Trap using this method as seen HERE on Thingiverse.

Anyway I hope someone finds a use for this... enjoy. :D

Jules

Re: Tip/Guide for making easy Screens, Gaurds, Ect. in S3D

Post by Jules » Tue Jul 26, 2016 2:50 am

Great technique! I imagine there are a LOT of things you could use that for! :D