Applying the included kapton tape

Post your advice, tips, suggestions, etc...
crazyg0od33

Applying the included kapton tape

Post by crazyg0od33 » Thu Aug 11, 2016 2:16 pm

Hey all!

Oddly enough, I had my starting height correct but my bed must've become unlevel when I did the dual extruder upgrade because on one of my prints the nozzle tore up a good chunk of the beautifully flat preinstalled tape on the bed.

Anyone have any tips to install a new layer with the included thin tape? I gave it a shot and it looks horrible haha. Bubbles everywhere...

I was thinking of just getting some larger squares on Amazon and using the soapy water trick I see on YouTube, but if I can use the included tape and get a better installation I'd let it hold me over until I can get a MIC6 bed with PEI...

Thanks

Jules

Re: Applying the included kapton tape

Post by Jules » Thu Aug 11, 2016 3:25 pm

When you do the dual upgrade, your Starting Height needs to be reset. (Otherwise you can hit the tape with the nozzle, as you discovered.) It shouldn't have un-leveled the bed though.

No easy way to get that tape on without floating it on, which at least gives you a shot at re-positioning it. (They must apply the full sheet mechanically, cause i have no idea how they get it on so flat.)

crazyg0od33

Post by crazyg0od33 » Thu Aug 11, 2016 3:51 pm

That's the thing. I did reset my starting height. At least it didn't ruin the glass. Yeah that tape is way too precise to be done by hand.

The funny thing is, at the price this tape goes for, I'm almost better off buying a new glass plate with the tape on it for $25 the next time this happens

Jules

Post by Jules » Thu Aug 11, 2016 4:01 pm

Gotcha! (Didn't know you had reset it.) Might have just been a tiny drip of hardened plastic on the tip or something like that.

You can just take the tape off and print on bare glass. (If you don't mind adjusting the Starting Height again. That tape might be thin enough that you won't need it, but you might.)

If you've got a MIC6 coming, you won't likely damage the glass in that small amount of time. Just take the tape off.

sthone

Post by sthone » Thu Aug 11, 2016 4:03 pm

It's real easy to put on with soapy water and a credit card.

I just use a drop of dish soap. I lather the drop on my fingers with some water and then just rub the soapy mix over the entire glass. I cut and lay a strip of tape down the middle and using a credit card (or anything flat and plastic) squeegee out the bubbles. Then just do the same with the other two pieces of tape. (add more soapy water if need be) You'll be surprised how easy the pieces of tape are to align when on the wet glass. After you get everything squeegeed flat just let it dry, trim off the overhang with a razor blade and your good to go.

When you run out of tape get yourself a sheet of PEI and never look back. :D

crazyg0od33

Post by crazyg0od33 » Thu Aug 11, 2016 4:49 pm

Awesome. thanks both of you!

I'll try the soapy water trick first and if it still gives me trouble I'll go to bare glass for now