Need help with Curtis's Firmware that supports VIKI

Post your advice, tips, suggestions, etc...
Tshulthise

Need help with Curtis's Firmware that supports VIKI

Post by Tshulthise » Mon Apr 14, 2014 4:06 pm

I did this...
Download: https://github.com/cmenard/Marlin/archi ... M2_exp.zip (exp has software fan PWM).
Wiring changes: https://groups.google.com/d/msg/makerge ... 0W0eNp9Y8J
LiquidTWI2 compilation error: https://groups.google.com/d/msg/makerge ... 0K6Zgwa34J
Slow manual extrusion with VIKI: https://groups.google.com/d/msg/makerge ... PxuhIrUtkJ

Before the wiring changes the VIKI home screen displays correctly except it doesn't acknowledge the SD card. I didn't try using it to control anything.
After the wiring change the VIKI blinks between the home screen and some other screen and doesn't work. Did I misunderstand the wiring change or is something else wrong?

The wiring instructions listed were a little difficult to decipher but if I understand it correctly you do the following as shown in the attached figure:
1. Move the yellow wire from EXT2 pin 15 to EXT2 pin 14.
2. Move the Black wire from EXT2 pin 13 to EXT2 pin 20.

Attached is other supporting information I used in case anyone else is trying to do this... As shown, the EXT2 Pin 1 is at the bottom left of the header.
Attachments
VIKI PIN CHANGE FOR CURTIS' FIRMWARE.JPG
VIKI PIN CHANGE FOR CURTIS' FIRMWARE.JPG (53.09 KiB) Viewed 15410 times
RAMBo.JPG
RAMBo.JPG (235.7 KiB) Viewed 15410 times
Last edited by Tshulthise on Mon Apr 14, 2014 10:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jsc

Re: Need help Curtis's Firmware Install that supports VIKI

Post by jsc » Mon Apr 14, 2014 8:01 pm

Not having a Viki, that looks right to me. Maybe a photo of your current wiring setup to confirm?

cmenard

Re: Need help with Curtis's Firmware that supports VIKI

Post by cmenard » Mon Apr 14, 2014 10:23 pm

Hey Tony,

There are two yellow wires from the VIKI that end up on the EXT2 pins. Make sure the yellow and black wires that you are moving are the ones that are from the same harness on the VIKI. That should leave a white and yellow wire (from the other VIKI harness) connected to EXT2 pins 19 and 17 respectively.

Tshulthise

Post by Tshulthise » Mon Apr 14, 2014 10:47 pm

I tried moving each of the yellow wires just in case I had them backwards when I installed it the first time. That didn't work.

I will double check ALL of the wires using the list on the MakerGear Wiki when I get home tonight. If I don't find the problem I'll post a picture of what I have.

Thanks,

T

Tshulthise

Post by Tshulthise » Sat Apr 19, 2014 2:19 pm

I went through all the wiring and made sure everything was correct. When I turned it on it worked. I turned it on today and its back to switching between the main screen and the screen that comes up when you push the center button. Any ideas? Think its a wire that's losing continuity? I suspect one of the wires that was moved since one of those is related to connecting one of the VIKI buttons that was previously unused, if I remember correctly.

Any ideas how to check would be appreciated.

Thx,
Tony

cmenard

Post by cmenard » Sat Apr 19, 2014 3:29 pm

Tony,

Pull the black wire from EXT2 pin 20 and see if it quits. That's the wire that makes the little button next to the sdcard on the VIKI work. It's rather useless, so if that fixes it no big loss...

Tshulthise

Post by Tshulthise » Sat Apr 19, 2014 4:53 pm

When I unplugged the entire bottom connector of the VIKI the flashing stopped and everything is still controllable. I guess that means the bottom connector is related to the SD card?

I'll try plugging the bottom connector back in then unplugging EXT2 20 and see what happens.

jsc

Post by jsc » Sun Apr 27, 2014 5:50 pm

Did you get this working?

Zeeflyboy

Post by Zeeflyboy » Mon Apr 28, 2014 5:19 pm

I am having the exact same problem

It beeps (didn't even know the LCD could beep!) and switches back and forth between the two screens. I pulled the black from pin 20 as described above and no change... I have double checked the points raised above and still no dice.

I'd I twiddle the jog wheel around then it will stop beeping and switching, but then the moment I try to enter a menu or do anything else, it starts again.

I've also tired re-uploading the firmware. (I am using the non exp one btw)

jsc

Post by jsc » Mon Apr 28, 2014 5:40 pm

Maybe a wiring issue, as you said above? Did you try checking wire continuity on all the wires you can reach?