Need help with Curtis's Firmware that supports VIKI

Post your advice, tips, suggestions, etc...
Zeeflyboy

Re: Need help with Curtis's Firmware that supports VIKI

Post by Zeeflyboy » Mon Apr 28, 2014 5:54 pm

well it was working perfectly until I installed my 24v power supply and updated the firmware lol.

I appear to have continuity. I can't figure it out :(

I tried installing Makergear's own 24v firmware and it is doing the same thing whether I have the pins in the stock configuration or the modified positions.

jsc

Post by jsc » Mon Apr 28, 2014 6:04 pm

Here's another wild guess: maybe it's EMI? Do you have any untwisted wires?

Zeeflyboy

Post by Zeeflyboy » Mon Apr 28, 2014 6:17 pm

none of the wires are twisted, I simply installed them as the looms came... never an issue over the past 8 months or so.

But I did just try twisting the ends that aren't sheathed, tried moving them away from other wires and making sure the power cable wasn't near them, didn't appear to make any difference.

jsc

Post by jsc » Mon Apr 28, 2014 6:56 pm

I think you should contact support and work through this with them, maybe get a replacement.

Zeeflyboy

Post by Zeeflyboy » Mon Apr 28, 2014 7:00 pm

yeah, have done - waiting for their response now

Cheers for trying to help.

Tshulthise

Post by Tshulthise » Tue Apr 29, 2014 2:04 am

jsc wrote:Maybe a wiring issue, as you said above? Did you try checking wire continuity on all the wires you can reach?
I checked the wires and made sure everything was plugged in correctly. It worked for a while then started blinking again. I didn't change or even move anything and when I turned it on tonight its working fine again. I suspect some kind of firmware bug but I can't confirm. I also noticed that you can cycle through the menus using the left and right arrow buttons with this firmware. If I remember correctly, the OEM firmware allowed that. I might try going back to the OEM firmware, if I can ever find a copy that supports VIKI, and just tweak that for using 24V fans without using series wiring.

cmenard

Post by cmenard » Tue Apr 29, 2014 3:44 pm

I can't use the left arrow on my Viki, only the right arrow will select things. Been using this firmware with my Viki without issue for some time now. Has me wondering if there may be an undocumented difference in Viki's?

Zeeflyboy

Post by Zeeflyboy » Tue Apr 29, 2014 5:25 pm

The plot thickens...

Initially I had tried uploading makergears own 24v vikki firmware several times, same problem persisted.

I then tried to upload the old 12/19v firmware, and got a compilation error related to the liquidTW12 library. I deleted the library and then the old firmware compiled and uploaded... With the old firmware the vikki problem was gone.

I then re flashed with the makergear official 24v vikki and now it's all working.

So it's definitely not a connection issue, it's a firmware problem of some sort... Perhaps related to liquidtw12? I'm not sure how it all works as I'm a computer moron, but after deleting that library the stock firmware works fine. I have no since tried this fork since it's all working now and I need to do some printing... So will stick with the makergear firmware for now.

cliffwarner

Post by cliffwarner » Sun Aug 03, 2014 1:25 pm

Zeeflyboy wrote:It beeps (didn't even know the LCD could beep!) and switches back and forth between the two screens. I pulled the black from pin 20 as described above and no change... I have double checked the points raised above and still no dice.

I'd I twiddle the jog wheel around then it will stop beeping and switching, but then the moment I try to enter a menu or do anything else, it starts again.
I am also having this exact same problem. Did you find a solution? I have followed the guidance here on wiring, and am convinced that I have it right, but that did not solve the problem. So far I can not find a software solution. I have a 24V M2.

cliffwarner

Post by cliffwarner » Sun Aug 03, 2014 4:31 pm

I went back through and verified all connections as referenced in the first post in this thread. I then download and modifided the firmware (again as referenced in the first post), added the required library, and re-uploaded the firmware to the Rambo. Now the Viki pannel works and the flashing and beeping between the main screen and first level menu screen has stopped. So, I must have been done something wrong previously.

The bad news is that it is not recognizing the micro SD card slot in the Viki. It shows that a SD card is inserted on the main screen. However, when I go to read or try to print from the card, it does not allow me to do that. For example it shows "No SD card" on the first level menu screen. I have tried reformatting the card as FAT32, removing any subdirectories on the card, and using a simple 4 character name with a .g extension (as described on the old forums here: https://groups.google.com/forum/#!searc ... KeNtzQqd8J )

EDIT: I connected the M2 to my laptop running Simplify3D and tried a couple things with S3D. If I look at the communication channel when clicking on SD card status, it responds with "Not SD Printing". If I try Print from SD Card, it shows a line for SD card init fail, then a received begin file list, received end file list. Lastly if I try upload to SD card, it apparently uploads the files and starts printing. It ran perfectly.

So, I am lost as to what to do. Any ideas?

Thanks,
Cliff