How to restart an incomplete print

Post your advice, tips, suggestions, etc...
psd

How to restart an incomplete print

Post by psd » Wed Jan 18, 2017 2:43 pm

Hello,
I was printing a very large and volumous part over night. Came in today to see it about 70% printed and printer has dropped bed and stopped printing.
Assuming I can measure the hight pretty accurately of last layer, what are the steps to getting the print to complete?

thanks!
- peter,

innovative product designer and tinkerer

www.petersolomondesign.com

psd

Re: How to restart an incomplete print

Post by psd » Wed Jan 18, 2017 8:18 pm

Hey... lots of views, and no replies!

Does anyone know if there is a way to recover this half print? If not I will scrape it off the bed and trash it and start again, for now the machine is sitting idle while I look for a solution.

Also is there a way in S3D to find out what happened during the print to have made it stop?

Does it store an error log that I can access?

thanks for any and all help!
- peter,

3dPrintingMD

Post by 3dPrintingMD » Wed Jan 18, 2017 8:46 pm

The reason for lack of replies, is it is not going to be easy.

You could made a new file, with a layer starting point that would match the point that it stopped at.

You need to make sure the startup script is good so that the nozzle doesn't collide into the print.
M2 - V4, MIC-6 Build Plate, Astrosyn Damper's(X/Y), Rev. E, Geeetech LCD

S3D - FFF Settings https://forum.simplify3d.com/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=2367
Print Quality Troubleshooting https://www.simplify3d.com/support/prin ... eshooting/

psd

Post by psd » Wed Jan 18, 2017 8:51 pm

3dPrintingMD wrote:The reason for lack of replies, is it is not going to be easy.

You could made a new file, with a layer starting point that would match the point that it stopped at.

You need to make sure the startup script is good so that the nozzle doesn't collide into the print.
thank you, I know I am being a pain in the butt, but could you walk me through the process step by step?

I can measure the height of the print so far and try to guesstimate the layer it stopped on, then what?

thanks!
- peter,

atomic_peach

Post by atomic_peach » Wed Jan 18, 2017 8:53 pm

Do you print over USB or via SD card? This may help with finding what failed, but I am not sure if any logging that goes on.

As for saving your print, you can get S3D to start at a specific height, or you can modify the gcode to delete the stuff already printed (look for the first Z<height needed>). Get your height by measuring, dividing that measurement by your layer height, round that result down to nearest whole number, and then multiply by your layer height. You can't measure the exact layer height but the calculation and rounding take out your error. You might want to add a Z travel to start above the print before the rest of the code, this way the nozzle is less likely to hit the print when resuming.

Bratag

Post by Bratag » Wed Jan 18, 2017 9:36 pm

Its worth keeping in mind if you get the values wrong one of two things can happen.

1) You ram the print head into the print and damage it or the printer.
2) You start too high and you print into empty air and it looks like crap.

This is the reason I will opt for splitting large parts whenever possible. If It fails it fails only partially. Glue is your friend.

Jules

Post by Jules » Wed Jan 18, 2017 10:09 pm

If you can get a very accurate measurement of the height, you can sink the model on the bed by that amount in S3D and just print the remnant, then glue them together.

Method is here:

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=3431

ksevcik

Post by ksevcik » Thu Jan 19, 2017 1:13 am

Given that the bed was all the way down, you've probably lost your motor positions, so you'll need to re home the steppers. That's probably not going to happen if you don't have Rev E machine that homes to the bottom.

If you do, I'm willing to edit your full gcode file down to the bit you need to print if you post the entire file here. Zipped, of course.

3dPrintingMD

Post by 3dPrintingMD » Thu Jan 19, 2017 3:27 pm

https://forum.simplify3d.com/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=2089

See the link above for the info on the starting height function in S3D.
M2 - V4, MIC-6 Build Plate, Astrosyn Damper's(X/Y), Rev. E, Geeetech LCD

S3D - FFF Settings https://forum.simplify3d.com/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=2367
Print Quality Troubleshooting https://www.simplify3d.com/support/prin ... eshooting/

ksevcik

Post by ksevcik » Thu Jan 19, 2017 6:03 pm

The standard M2 starting script is still going to crash the part into the gantry, though. And it's still likely impossible to do this at all if you don't have a RevE machine.