Tip on preventing edges from lifting?

Post your advice, tips, suggestions, etc...
DrScoles

Tip on preventing edges from lifting?

Post by DrScoles » Fri Feb 24, 2017 6:28 pm

I'm on my 4th or 5th spool of material, had great success so far. ABS and PLA... When doing something big and flat, I am getting a little lift up on the edges. Same part with PLA or ABS, same thing. I tried hairspray... no change. I just read a thread on setting for PETG and the person mentioned printing the first layer slower... Is that something I should change to make a difference?

Thanks

zemlin

Re: Tip on preventing edges from lifting?

Post by zemlin » Sat Feb 25, 2017 12:00 am

I print my first layer at 50% speed. I think it helps.

atomic_peach

Post by atomic_peach » Sat Feb 25, 2017 12:42 am

Sharp corners will lift most often. If hairspray, glue, or ABS slurry (for ABS) isn't holding it down, you can add a brim or "mouse ears" to the corners. These will need to be removed once completed but they worked for me. The reason they are lifting is the part is cooling and contracting. Slowing the printing may help, but only to a degree. If you can better control the ambient temperature you can better control the cooling.

https://www.simplify3d.com/support/prin ... g/#warping

Pekish79

Post by Pekish79 » Wed Mar 01, 2017 2:23 am

Make sure the distance between the first layer and the base is the correct one

I print with nozzle 0.5 reach later 0.34 (3 layers = 1mm) I print a calibration test print (5 rectangular boxes one center 1 each corner) tall 3.00MM (9 layers)

then I lift them and measure each one with a caliber, and I try to keep them 2.94-2.98MM

once you are sure the distance is correct, u can play a little with the bed temperature

but there will ALWAYS be some filament roll that is unlucky no matter what you do it will always lift maybe is the humidity inside it or the composition

I had 2 rolls of same exact material one stick perfectly the other won't stick no matter what

last but not least the printer print 45 degrees when filling up a flat surface keep it EVEN number 2 layer or 4 layers if you print 3 that will create certain force while drying stronger in one direction and will more easily lift