Printing a Solid Ring, Not Two Outlines

Post your advice, tips, suggestions, etc...
Phil

Printing a Solid Ring, Not Two Outlines

Post by Phil » Thu May 25, 2017 11:20 pm

I am not sure how to solve this problem, but I am almost sure someone here has a change to S3D to fix it. I am trying to print a thin-wall, and instead of the printer filling in between the two outlines, I am left with two much thinner walls. I presume I am missing something in S3D to correct for this?
Attachments
2017-05-25 17.16.11.jpg

ednisley

Re: Printing a Solid Ring, Not Two Outlines

Post by ednisley » Fri May 26, 2017 12:07 am

Phil wrote:missing something in S3D
The distance between those two perimeter threads is less than the minimum extrusion width, so there's no way (*) for the nozzle to squirt plastic into the gap.

Basically, when the total wall width is more than two and less than three-to-four times the extrusion width, you're stuck: the remaining gap is too small to fill.

You must change the model to fit what the extruder can do, by either making the wall wider (about four threads) or narrower (two threads).

If the wall width is fixed, perhaps because it must fit into a hole and around a post, so you can't change the dimensions, then you're really stuck. Perhaps filling the gap with epoxy will get you most of the way to the goal.

If it's any consolation, everybody runs into that problem at one point or another … [grin]

(*) Slic3r has a "Fill gaps" mode that reduces the plastic flow to a trickle, but that tends to produce horrible stringing with PETG, because there's not enough hot plastic to bond with the adjoining threads.

Farr0wn3d

Post by Farr0wn3d » Fri May 26, 2017 12:41 am

If it were me, I would change the perimeters to 1, adjust the extrusion width (within reason) to see if I could get it to fill properly, and failing that, I would consider using a different sized nozzle.

If you change the perimeters/shells setting to 1 and have the infill to 100, then it might just fill that area if your extrusion width is set low enough.

Worth a shot.

Phil

Post by Phil » Fri May 26, 2017 2:02 pm

I think I will first try the larger nozzle. I was using a 0.35mm and will try a 0.50mm. If that does not do it, then on to the height vs width adjustments.