The Filament Change Question

Post your advice, tips, suggestions, etc...
Low-Fer

The Filament Change Question

Post by Low-Fer » Wed Dec 20, 2017 10:26 am

Spent the afternoon and evening reading through the forum looking for the answer to "The Changing of the Filament During a Print" question, also known as "What to Do with whats left on my Spool" question, and /or "How Do I Splice Filament Together" question.

Never found a definitive answer to the topic, and I looked pretty hard too. My first filament printer is a Flash Forge knock off by Monoprice that I learned on, and it has a simple way to deal with the challenge, push a button on the control panel and off you go - it walks you through the filament change and your golden. Steve Thone authored a nice "How To" on how to program in a filament change on my M2 Rev. E and it works awesome, thanks for that Steve. I have attempted to enter the M600 code into a test print, and yes it stops and retracts the filament but since I really don't know the steps to using this process I never get the proper results, just another failed test print in the oval can. I tried chasing the filament into the working extruder but my hands no longer move with ANY kind of speed or precision to accomplish the task.

So what is the process to accommodate the need on this fine machine? Love my MG - it produces some really awesome pieces. What can i program into S3D in the form of additional scripts or macro's to really make it sing? I know I'm not the only one out there with the same questions.

Thanks in advance for your help and time.

Lowell - Merry Christmas