Great S3D settings I found..comments?

Post your advice, tips, suggestions, etc...
jfstanley

Great S3D settings I found..comments?

Post by jfstanley » Fri Oct 26, 2018 11:43 am

Hi all,
I recently bought a model and with it came some settings that I tried out and seem to work very well. I thought I would share them here and ask any seasoned S3D users for any comments or further suggestions they might have. Some of these settings I would never have thought of. I might note that I did change a few of things: raising the temp a bit, layer height from .1 to .15mm, and retraction vertical lift to .15mm. I'm including a pic of the print results as well..

thanks for any comments,
Jim

jferguson

Re: Great S3D settings I found..comments?

Post by jferguson » Fri Oct 26, 2018 1:19 pm

it would be good to know what filament. and whose?

airscapes

Post by airscapes » Fri Oct 26, 2018 2:05 pm

what version of S3D are you using. 4.01 is current and soon to be replaced or so they say... Your screen shot has not speeds tab.. I assume this is not 4.01.
The problem with using other peoples settings is that they are not really transferable, even if the printers are the same.
settings are specific to model size, shape and orientation on the table, Filament type and diameter (consistency), manner in which printer starting height is set.

I noticed first layer 140% which in S3D 4.01 would mean to make that layer fatter than your layer height. This would be bad if the starting height of the printer was set correctly and you wanted a part to be the exact size the model was created to be.

Some of us over think and over engineer things, so if you are getting good results, keep using these settings.

jfstanley

Post by jfstanley » Fri Oct 26, 2018 7:54 pm

oh yes - I'm using Hatchbox PLA and the variety here is a "temperature" sensitive" kind, although I hope this goes for any Hatchbox PLA.

The settings I screencapped here are directly from the source PDF, and it seems they are using an earlier version of S3D. I just did a little searching in my (the latest) version so I could fill in the values apples to apples..

jfstanley

Post by jfstanley » Fri Oct 26, 2018 7:58 pm

I hear you on the "every printer is different" issue. (By the way, mine is an M2). And yes, thew 140% issue is exactly the comment I was looking for.

These settings are given if you're like me and want to try something totally new after hitting a wall with your own settings.

Cheers,
Jim

mhjor70

Post by mhjor70 » Sat Mar 23, 2019 6:40 pm

I tested your settings on the M3-ID with Polylite PLA and it worked Flawless !!
Do you have any other good material (ABS, Nylon) settings ;)