problem with first layers

Post your advice, tips, suggestions, etc...
diegomonzon

problem with first layers

Post by diegomonzon » Sat Jul 25, 2020 8:39 am

Hi everyone, this is my first message to the forum and problem with my maker gear printer.
A corner of my model bends away from the bed glass. I assume that this happens half way or when the bed is cooling. Everything seems fine when the layers are been printed. but the "bend" is there when I take my model out.
I am having these problem consistently with all my models.
I am printing with PLA
Not sure why and any suggestion would be greatly appreciated .

Please check the images
https://www.dropbox.com/s/56m9yrelj3mxl ... 0.jpg?dl=0
https://www.dropbox.com/s/5a2cndnbmqwez ... 8.jpg?dl=0

Thanks in advanced
Diego

ednisley

Re: problem with first layers

Post by ednisley » Sun Jul 26, 2020 9:16 pm

diegomonzon wrote:
Sat Jul 25, 2020 8:39 am
bends away from the bed glass
The basic problem looks to be geometric: the part has a tall outer wall around a recessed center. All the plastic shrinks as it cools, the rim exerts a tremendous upward force on the base as it tries to contract radially and vertically, and eventually one side of the base pops off the glass.

It also looks like you're trying to put a nice bevel around the bottom rim, with an angle maybe 60° from vertical. That rarely works well, as anything much beyond 45° tends to get ragged. Bonus: having the rim hang out beyond the platform contact patch gives the wall more leverage to wrangle the base free as it cools.

A generous brim around the part's base will provide more surface area to resist the upward force, at the cost of having to remove it when you pop the part off the platform.

If you're not using hair spray / glue stick / secret potion #9 (whatever works better for you), then it's time to start doing so.

Rummaging around in previous posts by searching for keywords like adhesion, 'hair spray', brim, and suchlike will give you some pointers. However, the glop somebody else swears by may not work at all for you, for reasons nobody's ever been able to explain, so be prepared to experiment.

Low-Fer

Post by Low-Fer » Sat Aug 01, 2020 6:18 am

One of my close buddies (brother from another mother) turned me on to Wolfbite - glass bed adhesion solution, and I have never been sorry for using it. My first layer is always stuck to the bed and in place, and it's easy to apply and clean up after. I get a good dozen prints before I need to re-apply. I have two glass plates - one with Worlfbite "Nano" for printing PLA and another plate with Wolfbite MEGA for my printing of ASA. These are the two filaments I use the most - in fact almost exclusively.

I start with a clean glass plate mounted and then I wipe it with a good cloth and a little rubbing alcohol just to make sure it has not oily fingerprints on it, giving it a good wipe down. Then with the little foam brush, I put on a fluid layer of Wolfbite. For the NANO I just let it dry - 10 to 15 minutes. and we are off to the races. My bed temp is set to 65 - 68.

With the MEGA I do the same cleaning and apply with brush - but to dry it I warm the plate to about 110 degrees then let it cool completely.
What's weird with the MEGA is when the print is done the plate must cool almost completely for it to release, and when it does you'll hear a loud "SNAP" and the print will just lift off the plate. ASA prints at 110 degrees on the bed.

To clean the plate or if you have a print that doesn't release just run it under warm to hot water. I use a little liquid hand soap and a rag and make sure the glass plate is clean and really dry. Then your ready to re-apply.

Again - I have been real happy with Wolfbite. Find it on their website https://airwolf3d.com/shop/ or on Amazon

Lowell

diegomonzon

Post by diegomonzon » Wed Nov 18, 2020 8:59 am

Thanks a lot, I started using hair spray and it does work