Quadcopters and other flying machines

Share your models and objects...
Brendan22

Quadcopters and other flying machines

Post by Brendan22 » Sat May 17, 2014 4:52 am

These were all prototyped and developed using my M2. I love it!

T4 Quadcopter
T4 Quadcopter Mini 250
T6 Hexacopter

Dave K

Re: Quadcopters and other flying machines

Post by Dave K » Sat May 17, 2014 2:30 pm

Nicely done!

I'm curious about the T6 design. What drove the 3-arm, double motor approach as opposed to 6-arm, single motor? I fly helis and I've been looking into multirotor, but I don't have a lot of background on design issues like that. I've got what I consider a "toy" quad, Blade's 350QX, but I'm looking for more lifting power and redundancy in case of motor/prop failures, which I've had with the 350QX. It made for an interesting video, at least. [sorry to go a little off-topic, everyone]

cmenard

Post by cmenard » Mon May 19, 2014 8:26 pm

I've printed the Spidex Micro with the addition of some custom landing feet. Just waiting for everything else to get here to finish it up.
Attachments
IMG_20140519_152434.jpg
IMG_20140519_152434.jpg (635.29 KiB) Viewed 12609 times

Brendan22

Post by Brendan22 » Thu May 22, 2014 2:27 am

Dave K wrote:Nicely done!

I'm curious about the T6 design. What drove the 3-arm, double motor approach as opposed to 6-arm, single motor? I fly helis and I've been looking into multirotor, but I don't have a lot of background on design issues like that. I've got what I consider a "toy" quad, Blade's 350QX, but I'm looking for more lifting power and redundancy in case of motor/prop failures, which I've had with the 350QX. It made for an interesting video, at least. [sorry to go a little off-topic, everyone]
Sorry for the late reply. I didn't get any email notification of your post.

The T6 design is my favourite. I really like my 3DR Y6 but the arrangement of ESCs and battery location are not ideal. Like the Y6, the T6 has the benefit of 100% redundancy on each arm - but with only the weight of 3 arms -and it makes it possible to get the weight of the batteries right up into the centre of gravity/thrust (so there is less rotational momentum). Also the front has a completely unobstructed view for the camera.

By the way, I've had a FC -> ESC wire fail on my T6 and I barely noticed until after it landed and I heard the ESC beeping.

outlaw704

Post by outlaw704 » Thu May 29, 2014 5:08 pm

Brendan22 wrote:These were all prototyped and developed using my M2. I love it!

T4 Quadcopter
T4 Quadcopter Mini 250
T6 Hexacopter
I REALLY like the T4 design. I've started printing with the latest version of Simplify3D using the PLA and medium quality settings. As the parts print out, I can "see" the time and effort you have put into the design and modeling.

I however, am having a bit of difficulty getting the large parts to print properly. I did not change any gcode or fff settings (total noob), but I did start with a nice clean (and I think level) glass with good coating of aquanet. When I import the file they came in with the aft portion of the large parts toward the front of the M2 bed, I did not change them.

The main body took 10:45 to print and was looking really good, flat, and well adhered before I left it to print. This morning when I took it off the bed there was some distortion on the forward part of the body (from the aft portion of the print bed). The aft arms fit perfectly, but there is enough distortion in the main body that the forward arms do not fit at all.

So I have a question or three: Did you make any mods to the S3D print settings before starting to print? What is your technique for bed adhesion for large prints? Do you think spinning the file 180 degrees on the bed would help?

Any advice you have would be greatly appreciated!!

I just joined DIY Drones, so I'll join in the thread over there too, as I make progress.

Very cool Quad...

jsc

Post by jsc » Thu May 29, 2014 9:34 pm

For large prints, try glue stick. With PLA, it is super super strong. To make it easier to unplate, I would suggest maybe giving it a very light coat everywhere (rubbed lightly with a damp paper towel), then give it the beans at the corners and ends of long beams. Using Toby's M2 logo bed background thing makes it a lot easier to visualize where to do it.

Brendan22

Post by Brendan22 » Thu May 29, 2014 10:26 pm

So I have a question or three: Did you make any mods to the S3D print settings before starting to print? What is your technique for bed adhesion for large prints? Do you think spinning the file 180 degrees on the bed would help?
I've attached my settings if it helps. You may need to tweak the extrusion multiplier to suit your PLA. I make sure the glass is clean and then apply a layer of budget hairspray. I've printed a quite a few bodies now (prototypes) and haven't had any need to rotate the object.
This morning when I took it off the bed there was some distortion on the forward part of the body
Did the forward part lift of the bed? Perhaps you could post a photo that shows the "distortion". Some of the gurus here might be able to offer some suggestions if they can see the problem?

BTW. Thanks for choosing to make a T4. I've been hearing from lots of happy makers out there so I'm sure you'll enjoy it once you get it completed :-)
Attachments
140302 Blue PLA tube copter.zip
(1.73 KiB) Downloaded 485 times