Full T-800 Terminator on a base

Share your models and objects...
kazolar

Full T-800 Terminator on a base

Post by kazolar » Wed May 13, 2015 4:49 pm

My friend Steve who got me into 3D printing has been egging me to join the forum. OK. I have.
Now I'm going to share my epic printing achievement in the first 2 months of owning the M2.
http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:822739

I've been printing on an PEI laminated on Boro glass, which has been wonderful, no curling, no buckling, just works. I've had my wife switch out prints while I'm at work, that's how easy it's been.

I'll post my other achievements later. But I think this this a good way to introduce myself.

This T-800 print definitely put the M2 through it's paces, the level of detail is awesome. Just the chest piece was a 30 hour print.

Jules

Re: Full T-800 Terminator on a base

Post by Jules » Wed May 13, 2015 6:38 pm

Wow! That was a lot of work....it turned out great! :D

jsc

Post by jsc » Wed May 13, 2015 7:12 pm

You must have started printing that out almost as soon as you got the printer. That is super ambitious. I take it you've had previous 3D printing experience?

sprior

Post by sprior » Thu May 14, 2015 9:36 pm

kazolar and I work together and I've been sharing all the things I've learned in the just over a year that I've had my M2, so when he decided to take the plunge I had only one recommended printer for him. He's also a very technical guy so he's really taken off since he got his printer.

He married very well, first his wife approved the printer purchase, then she's been his assistant in clearing prints off the printer, and now she tolerates having a large T-800 around. :D

rsilvers

Post by rsilvers » Fri May 15, 2015 12:36 am

Very impressive. It looks great.

Just one technical comment - You can't print 0.25mm wide with a 0.35mm nozzle.

Really it is best to print 0.4mm wide with a 0.35mm nozzle. The ratio of nozzle diameter to extrusion width is well established.

kazolar

Post by kazolar » Thu May 21, 2015 4:08 pm

So this is weird, I was not getting emails when folks reply to this post (I didn't have the notify me checkbox checked for some reason)
Regarding the nozzle comment. The extrusion width is a recommendation from simplify 3d folks as far slicing goes. They said you can go lower than the nozzle width, the recommendation was 0.30mm as the lowest. The model will not slice properly and maintain detail at extrusion width of .4 or .35. I was also loosing detail at .3, so I tried slicing and printing parts at .25, and that worked perfectly. Note, I did experiments at .2 extrusion width, and the supports were impossible to remove, so I suppose I hit a wall there. I was able to get the detail in the fingers which were omitted at higher extrusion width values. I read up on it, and some articles suggest that the extrusion width is only tangentially related to the nozzle width. I read that some folks are basing it off the layer height. It seems counter-intuitive that a .35mm nozzle could extrude something -- anything thinner than .35mm, and it might be able to, but as far as slicing goes, that's the setting that is needed to slice the model. It's extremely slow printing at that extrusion width and .1 layer height, but it does work and produces excellent results.