UN-solved: Need a S3D GCODE

Share your models and objects...
Matt_Sharkey

Re: UN-solved: Need a S3D GCODE

Post by Matt_Sharkey » Tue Aug 04, 2015 2:16 am

So while trying to fix it, i broke that filament mount, no worries cause I have 2 more PETG mounts....right? no.

like clockwork they jam 5-10 mins into the print. I don't know what the deal is. maybe i need to get a larger bit to bore the hole out? thought? anything?

Jules

Post by Jules » Tue Aug 04, 2015 2:17 am

Matt_Sharkey wrote:I get clunking and chatter from the extruder, E-Stop, then try to retract, can get 5mm retracted then it gets caught on and clunks again. Pull the thread and its all mashed up, but still connected. I suppose the tension is too high...but it was barely tensioned on one of the trials. The gap for the bearing is a bit tight and it doesn't spin freely, could this be an issue?

For now the ABS is going back on as that is still in good condition

As for the ABS motor mount, that thing is already fatigued and this machine might have 100 hours on it.
Yes, it's jamming and stripping the filament when it goes in. (The clunking sounds, and then it gets caught when you try to pull it out.) It might be because the tension in that screw was too high, but you might also need to fiddle with the part - PcS is right, the bearing needs to spin freely. The clunking sounds might be the gear hitting against the drive - look at the inside of the drive where the gear was, and see if it looks beat up right there.

Jules

Post by Jules » Tue Aug 04, 2015 2:23 am

Matt_Sharkey wrote:So while trying to fix it, i broke that filament mount, no worries cause I have 2 more PETG mounts....right? no.

like clockwork they jam 5-10 mins into the print. I don't know what the deal is. maybe i need to get a larger bit to bore the hole out? thought? anything?

Examine the broken one first and see if you can figure out what caused it to fail.

But yes, you should use a 2 mm drill bit, not less than that, even by a little bit, because i have seen filament diameters swing up to 1.9 mm, and it just doesn't give you enough room to play with if it's too tight around the filament. (Measure your filament too and see how big it is.)

Spotopolis

Post by Spotopolis » Tue Aug 04, 2015 6:50 am

Jules wrote:
Matt_Sharkey wrote:I get clunking and chatter from the extruder, E-Stop, then try to retract, can get 5mm retracted then it gets caught on and clunks again. Pull the thread and its all mashed up, but still connected. I suppose the tension is too high...but it was barely tensioned on one of the trials. The gap for the bearing is a bit tight and it doesn't spin freely, could this be an issue?

For now the ABS is going back on as that is still in good condition

As for the ABS motor mount, that thing is already fatigued and this machine might have 100 hours on it.
Yes, it's jamming and stripping the filament when it goes in. (The clunking sounds, and then it gets caught when you try to pull it out.) It might be because the tension in that screw was too high, but you might also need to fiddle with the part - PcS is right, the bearing needs to spin freely. The clunking sounds might be the gear hitting against the drive - look at the inside of the drive where the gear was, and see if it looks beat up right there.
I don't know if this helps or not, but I now regularly mark the tension bearing with Sharpie marks every 1/8" or so. That way I can visually verify that the bearing is turning and helps eliminate one possible variable since it's difficult to see if that bearing is turning. It helps me to adjust the tension for various filaments, though it does need to be retouched once every week or so.

Matt_Sharkey

Post by Matt_Sharkey » Tue Aug 04, 2015 2:10 pm

Jules wrote:examine the broken one first and see if you can figure out what caused it to fail.
I know what broke that one, me. I over tightened the tension screw trying to set the nut in place, maybe I was letting out pent up frustration...

Guess I'll get to Amazon and buy a drill bit, maybe some cleaning wire too, who knows whats in that extruder.
Last edited by Matt_Sharkey on Tue Aug 04, 2015 2:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Matt_Sharkey

Post by Matt_Sharkey » Tue Aug 04, 2015 2:12 pm

Spotopolis wrote:I don't know if this helps or not, but I now regularly mark the tension bearing with Sharpie marks every 1/8" or so. That way I can visually verify that the bearing is turning and helps eliminate one possible variable since it's difficult to see if that bearing is turning. It helps me to adjust the tension for various filaments, though it does need to be retouched once every week or so.
That does help! thanks for the suggestion, I'll mark it up next time I have the assembly apart (likely 3 minutes)

jimc

Post by jimc » Wed Aug 05, 2015 5:15 am

matt what happens is you have a hole that is slightly less than 2mm, say 1.9. im not sure what your drilling it out to. anyway your filament, especially softer ones like abs and petg, if the tension screw is too tight you will mash that filament into an oval that can easily be over the size of the bore causing it to jam. not to mention the teeth of the gear penetrate into the filament which displaces plastic. that plastic has to go somewhere. its like a rolling pin with teeth on a micro scale. also take into account that as things warm up they expand. the hole might get ever so slightly tighter and the filament going through might expand a little as well. everything adds up in the end. you dont need a crap load of tension on the filament. just enough to make some slight teeth marks in the filament and your good. a long 2mm bit is a must if you have a 3d printer.