Stereo text sculpture

Share your models and objects...
jsc

Stereo text sculpture

Post by jsc » Thu Jan 07, 2016 10:43 pm

Every once in a while I get a simple idea and play the "win Thingiverse" game. OpenSCAD is good for that since it stays on the front page slightly longer under the customizable section. Here's my latest attempt: http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:1250852
49aa7a6ac25f21269e57849a99b35e37_preview_featured.jpg
The idea this time was to take two text extrusions and take their intersection (and plop it on a base to hold it all together). This was made easier because Thingiverse appears to have updated their OpenSCAD version to be reasonably up-to-date.

Actually printing one is an enormous challenge, because any support at all and you will never be able to dig it out. Thus, you are restricted to a very limited set of capital letters, of which, happily, my example print is made out of entirely. This is a good test case for dissolvable support.

I have never actually managed to win my game, to the extent of getting something high enough in popularity that it is self sustaining.

Bratag

Re: Stereo text sculpture

Post by Bratag » Thu Jan 07, 2016 11:04 pm

That is a cool effect. Wonder if you could tweak it to use other two dimensional shapes other than just text. Might help with that win thingiverse :)

Jules

Re: Stereo text sculpture

Post by Jules » Fri Jan 08, 2016 3:07 am

Cool effect! :D