A more robust Rev E build platform clip

Share your models and objects...
zemlin

A more robust Rev E build platform clip

Post by zemlin » Sat Sep 03, 2016 12:52 am

I switched the screws to socket heads right off so I didn't have to mess with the 2mm wrench.
I figured I'd use the space for the screw heads and add some meat to the clip so they don't need to be replaced as often.
My first set is printed from PETG because that's what was in the machine. Checked clearances on the X-Gantry. All is good as long as the rounded side is to the outside - clips for the right and left are mirror imaged. STL files are attached.

If the screw hole builds small, a #31 drill works great to make it a nice fit on the screw. #31 is only .005" smaller than an 1/8" - so if you don't have number drills 1/8" will do.
FullSizeRender.jpg
Attachments
reve-clip2-zemlin.stl
(528.01 KiB) Downloaded 767 times
reve-clip-zemlin.stl
(528.01 KiB) Downloaded 768 times

zemlin

Re: A more robust Rev E build platform clip

Post by zemlin » Sun Sep 04, 2016 2:32 am

PETG is not a good choice for this part. The nub that presses against the HBP went flat. Now using ABS clips.

sTaLa

Post by sTaLa » Fri Sep 23, 2016 3:27 am

zemlin wrote:The nub that presses against the HBP went flat.
It must be me and the English not getting along, but I am not getting this. Could you explain it? I am using PETG more and more and am much interested in its limitations.
Thanks!

zemlin

Post by zemlin » Fri Sep 23, 2016 12:41 pm

I have a spherical bump on the end of the tab that contacts the heated build plate. After using the clips for a while that bump was squashed flat. The ABS did the same. I'm going to try another set of PETG clips, but i will make them solid with no infill. I think that may be the real weakness in the part.

ednisley

Post by ednisley » Fri Sep 23, 2016 4:11 pm

zemlin wrote:The nub that presses against the HBP went flat
Replace it with a steel ball / marble of about the same size, epoxied into a hemispherical socket?

That'd give you a single pressure point, better heat isolation, and about the same overall springiness.

zemlin

Post by zemlin » Fri Sep 23, 2016 4:21 pm

ednisley wrote:Replace it with a steel ball / marble of about the same size, epoxied into a hemispherical socket?
That'd give you a single pressure point, better heat isolation, and about the same overall springiness.
I have some 5mm ceramic balls ... if the solid build doesn't work an embedded ball should do the trick. Good idea.

zemlin

Post by zemlin » Wed Mar 08, 2017 4:38 pm

I printed some of these clips from ePC, solid (set bottom layers to 9999, so no infill). These have held up quite nicely, even in a heated enclosure. I looked into having some of the standard Makergear clips machined from aluminum through a quick-turn machining outfit, but couldn't get the price below $40 each, even for a larger quanity (which I would have sold if they were affordable) - which was quite a bit higher than I was hoping for.