Z height and bed lvl calibration file

Share your models and objects...
jimc

Z height and bed lvl calibration file

Post by jimc » Thu Apr 10, 2014 3:43 am

here is something i put together awhile back. wanted to post it here so more m2 users could find it. run this print to help fine tune your bed level. this will print very slowly so you can fine tune the lvl adjustment screws on the fly. the lines are printed at different heights .05mm apart so you can see which way and how much to adjust your Z stop bolt. note: 1/2 a flat on the Z bolt will adjust aprox .05mm.

http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:180970
Screen-Shot-2014-04-09-at-10.30.jpg
Screen-Shot-2014-04-09-at-10.30.jpg (59.89 KiB) Viewed 10541 times

MarkG

Re: Z height and bed lvl calibration file

Post by MarkG » Thu Apr 10, 2014 7:01 pm

Thank you for posting this, I switch hot ends based upon materials, so it helps to calibrate easily.

I like the fact that you provide real dimensions related to turns. However, I want to make sure I understand what '1/2 a flat" means in terms of the z-stop bolt.

Also, can you share the relationship between the height adjustment knob (Which "Clicks" when turned) and the z-stop bolt?

Thanks, Mark

jimc

Post by jimc » Fri Apr 11, 2014 1:18 am

mark, i think the height adjustment knob you are talking about would be the one on top that just turns the stepper motor. that one really shouldnt need to be touched much. just on occasion to tweak if you see the first layer goin down too tight or loose. the z-stop bolt is the one that should be adjusted to set your bed height. if you have that correct then you shouldnt need to mess with the other knob. 1 flat on the head of the bolt. that is an m4 bolt which has a pitch of .7mm. there are 6 side on the head which turning 1 flat would move the bed .11mm and 1/2 a flat .055. basically 1/6 rotation for 1 flat or 1/12th rotation for the 1/2 flat.

MarkG

Post by MarkG » Fri Apr 11, 2014 7:46 pm

Jim-
Actually, when I switch hot ends, I have to adjust the z-stop bolt, and the easiest way to do that is the Z-home, then adjust the level with the height adjustment knob. So what I'm asking (and I think that somewhere in an old post I saw this) is what is the relationship between the number of clicks on the height adjustment knob and the number of turns on the z-stop bolt? It's a good thing to know (and write down this time).

Thanks, Mark

jimc

Post by jimc » Sat Apr 12, 2014 12:53 am

mark i have no idea what the thread pitch of the z axis screw is and how many steps there are per revolution of the stepper