Cersei Lannister Necklace

Show off your prints!!!
jereywolf

Re: Cersei Lannister Necklace

Post by jereywolf » Thu May 21, 2015 2:23 pm

Yodajammies wrote:Rhino and Solidworks are two completely different animals. Rhino acts more like a traditional quad-modeler, heavy on the NURBS. Solidworks is all construction plane driven - very rigid and orderly but incredibly easy to make changes to your earliest build parts. If you're building Cersei's necklace I'd go Rhino every day of the week. If you're building a sheetmetal enclosure or a car engine that will have several revisions, I'd choose Solidworks.
That makes me very interested in Rhino. How would you say it compares to a program like Blender?

jsc

Post by jsc » Thu May 21, 2015 8:52 pm

Nothing compares to blender. It is the all singing all dancing freak show of 3D modelers. If you can learn it, you can do anything. As the Spartans said to Alexander the Great, though, "If."

f66

Post by f66 » Fri May 29, 2015 1:16 pm

spectacular, absolutely perfect.

jereywolf

Post by jereywolf » Fri May 29, 2015 5:09 pm

f66 wrote:spectacular, absolutely perfect.
Thank you!

Yodajammies

Post by Yodajammies » Mon Jun 01, 2015 2:48 pm

jsc wrote:Nothing compares to blender. It is the all singing all dancing freak show of 3D modelers. If you can learn it, you can do anything. As the Spartans said to Alexander the Great, though, "If."
QFT. Granted I haven't used blender in several years (thank GOD), and they may have improved the UI dramatically, but all I remember from it was that the learning curve of just figuring out where all the damn buttons were was an absolute nightmare. Then again, FREE is a very good price.

In all, Rhino works best as a "hub" program that can open damn near any file type. It can work with both surface and quad models. If you get the Tsplines plug-in, you can do "block" modelling much faster/better. For prop work like you do, I'd definitely recommend Rhino. It's not the only program you'll ever need but if we're talking about the software that covers the MOST bases, it is probably this one.

I found your facebook page recently as well. Very impressive work up there! (Shameless plug: I too run a small prop gig. Check me out - http://www.facebook.com/jarmanprops)

jereywolf

Post by jereywolf » Mon Jun 01, 2015 5:10 pm

Yodajammies wrote: For prop work like you do, I'd definitely recommend Rhino. It's not the only program you'll ever need but if we're talking about the software that covers the MOST bases, it is probably this one.

I found your facebook page recently as well. Very impressive work up there! (Shameless plug: I too run a small prop gig. Check me out - http://www.facebook.com/jarmanprops)
(BOWS DOWN)

Thank you so much! I'll definitely look into Rhino.

I know who you are Eric! I follow your work. It was really cool to see you on Prop Live a few weeks ago.

jimc

Post by jimc » Mon Jun 01, 2015 9:45 pm

i have to agree with using rhino. i was very surprised to see you were using solidworks to do all these props since that not really what its designed for. its all mechanical engineering and design software. rhino is industrial design. the whole point of rhino is for making models like these props you are creating. rhino is one of the most popular modeling programs in jewelry design. would be great for doing this necklace. definitely more artsy than solidworks is. if you decide to get started with rhino then send me a pm.