pet+ candle holders

Show off your prints!!!
jimc

pet+ candle holders

Post by jimc » Fri Jun 27, 2014 9:02 pm

this was a quick thing i modeled up and printed in black pet+. i lightly sanded it and faux finished it to look like old metal. my house had alot of old stone, wood and metal. turn of the century style so these go great. the rope is 3/8 natural sisal rope from hompe depot. i just wrapped it around and glued each end in place with some epoxy then took a torch and real quick burnt the hairs off the rope. this model really had alot of ringing on the direction changes around the rivets. normally i would find that irritating but it works well to give it a more distressed and imperfect look.

IMG_3100.jpg
IMG_3100.jpg (267.5 KiB) Viewed 9948 times

Toby

Re: pet+ candle holders

Post by Toby » Fri Jun 27, 2014 10:44 pm

Nice job. I like the medieval look of it. I don't think I've ever seen rope used in quite that way, but it goes well. Do you have any concern about hot wax dripping over the edge and burning the rope?

jimc

Post by jimc » Fri Jun 27, 2014 10:59 pm

na not really. hot wax wouldnt burn the rope. it would be more of a preservative to the rope and waterproof it but it wont get down there anyway. there is a 3/16" space all the way around the candle where it would just run inside. they are actually quite a bit lighter in person more like the gears behind. they look almost black in the pic now that i am looking at it. i cant take a picture to save my life. they are very....jack sparrowish lol

Capt. John

Post by Capt. John » Sat Jun 28, 2014 4:59 am

Gifted talent beyond a doubt.
Capt. John
Manistee, Michigan
Reel Amateur at 3D printing
Fishing Tackle Manufacturer & Webmaster for:
http://www.michiganangler.com
http://www.michigansportsman.com

Dave K

Post by Dave K » Sun Jun 29, 2014 2:09 am

Those look great, Jim. You have a really good sense for post treatment of prints. I've yet to do much to my prints after they're off the bed, but from an aesthetic standpoint it can add a lot.

jimc

Post by jimc » Sun Jun 29, 2014 2:29 am

thanks dave and everyone. yeah the post processing of the parts is what makes the difference in your part just being a piece of plastic to actually looking like something. sometimes it doesnt take much. to do the pair of these i maybe have 50-20 min in some light sanding and airbrushing

Tim

Post by Tim » Sun Jun 29, 2014 2:43 am

Of course, that's 20 minutes of light sanding and airbrushing PLUS a nice professional airbrush setup in your garage/studio PLUS many years of experience in knowing just what technique and colors to use to make something look antique, distressed, etc. . .

jimc

Post by jimc » Sun Jun 29, 2014 2:44 am

haha yeah true