Costume Props (Game of Thrones)

Show off your prints!!!
jimc

Re: Costume Props (Game of Thrones)

Post by jimc » Wed Jul 23, 2014 2:56 am

when he said solidworks i thought the same thing as you jin. that stuff your making is perfect for rhino. thats the kind of stuff that program was made for. its funny we are on opposite ends. i know rhino and want to learn solidworks. you know solidworks and want to learn.....something else. i have solidworks here too. they give it to military vets for $20. i also have all the video courses for it. i just havent had the time to sit down and watch them or even mess with the software at all.

jereywolf

Post by jereywolf » Wed Jul 23, 2014 3:34 am

Yeah, there are probably a lot of capabilities is SolidWorks that I'm not taking advantage of. The rust looking blade is just from paint. Spray painted black and dry brushed. I'll have to look into Rhino. Thanks for the tip!

markb

Post by markb » Wed Jul 23, 2014 3:27 pm

We recently got solidworks (military vet) can you recommend video courses for it. My 12 year old son wants to learn it. He is good with computer stuff.
Can you export/import STL files with it?

jimc

Post by jimc » Wed Jul 23, 2014 4:19 pm

i find infinite skills has the best video courses avail. all of them are really well done. you can buy and download it as a one time thing, go unlimited month by month or download their ipad app which is really cheap per month and unlimited. their courses on rhino5 are really super. i honestly dont know what i would have done without it.

www.infiniteskills.com

mbonadio

Post by mbonadio » Wed Jul 23, 2014 4:30 pm

Based on Jim's recommendation, I've been going through the videos on infiniteskills for Rhino and they have been really great...

jimc

Post by jimc » Wed Jul 23, 2014 4:33 pm

since your watching them already, just an fyi i got a email notice that they have a new rhino course to be released soon. keep a lookout. i think it was "complex models in rhino5" or something like that.

sorry i dont mean to get off topic

jereywolf

Post by jereywolf » Wed Jul 23, 2014 4:50 pm

markb wrote:We recently got solidworks (military vet) can you recommend video courses for it. My 12 year old son wants to learn it. He is good with computer stuff.
Can you export/import STL files with it?
The only tutorials I have used were on Youtube. When I run into an issue I usually check the solidworks forum. There are tons of videos, you just have to put in the time to learn.

I'll check out infiniteskills.com

You can import .STL files to solidworks, as long as they are under a certain size (number of faces). If you have your .STL file, go to solidworks, click OPEN, change all files to .STL, click OPTIONS, select SOLID BODY.

You can also export .STL, just SAVE AS, .STL

markb

Post by markb » Wed Jul 23, 2014 6:33 pm

Thanks for the info.
I just created my first STL file and I am ready to dive in.
I want to create stuff like you and some other on here have.

Sorry to side track your post.

Tim

Post by Tim » Wed Jul 23, 2014 9:18 pm

Stay away from Blender if you can (Maya, too; it's more or less the same thing). There's just way too much stuff crammed into it. It wants to be everything for everybody, and therefore has become so bloated with options that it's a royal pain in the tush for everybody. It's best suited for creating 3D animated movies. For mere modeling and design, there are better choices.

jereywolf

Post by jereywolf » Thu Jul 24, 2014 2:21 am

Tim wrote:Stay away from Blender if you can (Maya, too; it's more or less the same thing). There's just way too much stuff crammed into it. It wants to be everything for everybody, and therefore has become so bloated with options that it's a royal pain in the tush for everybody. It's best suited for creating 3D animated movies. For mere modeling and design, there are better choices.
Thanks for the tip Tim! I'll probably check out Rhino soon!