bottle neck

Show off your prints!!!
jsc

bottle neck

Post by jsc » Mon Oct 13, 2014 5:16 pm

I modeled a bottle neck (for learning purposes) and decided to try to print one. The overhangs on the threads are significant and I didn't want to mess about with trying to support them, so I split it vertically and printed in parts. Turned out pretty well: you can screw a bottle cap onto it.

http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:499261
Attachments
pco-1881-sm.jpeg
pco-1881-sm.jpeg (81.19 KiB) Viewed 8619 times

jdacal

Re: bottle neck

Post by jdacal » Mon Oct 13, 2014 5:25 pm

Wow, that did turn out great. Looks perfect!
jdacal

live print feed: http://enctrading.com/printcam/
See me Crash and Burn in Real time!

jimc

Post by jimc » Mon Oct 13, 2014 11:28 pm

Yea that came out really well jin. Nice job

rpollack

Post by rpollack » Tue Oct 14, 2014 12:17 am

+1

Spotopolis

Post by Spotopolis » Tue Oct 14, 2014 12:57 am

Have you found any good sources for learning Fusion 360? I'm beginning to understand how it works, but other than YouTube videos, I have not found any really good resources.

Were you already familiar with other 3D modeling programs? What did you think of the learning curve?

jsc

Post by jsc » Tue Oct 14, 2014 2:53 am

Youtube helps a lot. The documentation is poor to non-existent, and discoverability through the UI is often very bad (try figuring out how to move the transform tool itself for the Move command by yourself sometime....) Seeing someone do a particular operation once is invaluable to figuring it out. The learning curve is a steep climb, but three things about Fusion are very appealing to me:

1. It seems very powerful, combining both direct modeling and history-based parametric modeling (although not at the same time), plus it has all the power tools that DSM seems to have left out, never had, or are removing (loft blend, T-spline bodies, etc.)
2. It runs on my Mac without needing to fire up the old VM, and supports a 3DConnexion space navigator.
3. It's free for hobbyists! There appears to be no good middle ground in the CAD space. Everything is either free or "call for a quote". Autodesk seems to be the only company trying to make a play for the 3D printing crowd.

I'm still very much a beginner learning Fusion360 myself, but if you have any particular questions, I'd be happy to try to answer if I can.

Spotopolis

Post by Spotopolis » Tue Oct 14, 2014 4:13 am

I do learn a bunch from watching YouTubers model objects, but I wish there was an actual book or video series that runs through everything. It is a powerful program, but I agree the interface is not at all intuitive. For instance, I had to look up how to move sketches, which you would think would act just like moving anything else, but no.

I'm just happy to see that Autodesk recognizes that Mac users need cad tools too. I'm actually enjoying learning it and I love that it's free for us tinkerers.