cast owls

Show off your prints!!!
jsc

cast owls

Post by jsc » Sun Nov 02, 2014 4:12 am

I got a Smooth-On mold starter kit and had a go. I tried it on my acetone smoothed owls: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1604

The mold was actually made from an earlier print that wasn't as good as the one in those photos, as it had some pinholes at the top of the head. I first tried it with my good model, and in my haste I grabbed the wrong bottles when I went to make the mold. Never having done this before, it was only after my mold started clouding over and getting hot that I thought to think, hey, this doesn't look like silicone.... I had to patch up the holes with plasticine. You could see my fingerprints in the final cast until I sanded them out.

In retrospect, I should have started out with a simpler model to learn the process; I ended up having to repeat nearly every step twice and burned through most of the starter kit. The end result turned out pretty good though, although I'm sure I could do better if I were to redo the whole thing.
Attachments
cast-owls.jpg
cast-owls.jpg (70.07 KiB) Viewed 3327 times

jimc

Re: cast owls

Post by jimc » Sun Nov 02, 2014 4:20 am

Nice jin, you gotta start somewhere. Its all a learning experience and youll get better with it each time. Im sure in the end you will need more than a few starter kits.