ABS cat finished with oil paint

Show off your prints!!!
Toby

ABS cat finished with oil paint

Post by Toby » Fri May 09, 2014 7:06 pm

I did a test print last week of a cat in ABS. The print finished but had several surface defects. With nothing to lose, I sanded it, slapped on a coat of oil paint, and after a week sanded again and applied a coat of shellac. The oil paint stuck well to the ABS but I probably didn't wait long enough for it to dry completely. Here's the result:
abs_cat.jpg
black abs cat with blue oil paint and shellac
abs_cat.jpg (39.63 KiB) Viewed 9716 times

Dale Reed

Re: ABS cat finished with oil paint

Post by Dale Reed » Fri May 09, 2014 9:04 pm

toby, contact jimc for advice on finishing ABS. He does this sort of thing in his business all the time. Jim's the all-being master of space, time, dimension, and finishing ABS.

Toby

Post by Toby » Sat May 10, 2014 4:34 am

Dale Reed wrote:toby, contact jimc for advice on finishing ABS. He does this sort of thing in his business all the time. Jim's the all-being master of space, time, dimension, and finishing ABS.
What, it isn't perfect as it is? Aw, shucks, man, I was really proud of it.

Seriously, if jim (or anyone) knows how to smooth ABS without toxic chemicals, I'm all ears. Sanding doesn't help much. The oil paint was thick enough that it filled in some imperfections, but there's a point of diminishing returns when adding extra layers.

Also, I may have been hallucinating, but I think the shellac smoothed things out a bit as well. Whether it acted on the oil paint (likely) or the abs (seems unlikely but I can always hope) I don't know for sure.

Dale Reed

Post by Dale Reed » Sat May 10, 2014 4:47 am

Hey, Toby!

Sorry if that came across as criticism ---- frankly, I couldn't see anything wrong in the photo. ( YOU'RE the one who brought up the "not waiting for it to dry" thing ;) You know me better than that, amigo! ) I figured if you had some questions on the best way to finish your print, I'd get you on the shortest path to the best resource I know on the board for finishing printed ABS. jimc does this sort of thing for a living and has been very gracious in sharing his techniques here.

You might also want to check out (ASSUMING on my end that you haven't already, that is) what people have posted here and on the google group about using acetone vapor smoothing for some really glossy-finish ABS prints.
Dale

Toby

Post by Toby » Sat May 10, 2014 6:36 am

Lol, I know Dale I was just kidding around with you. I get where you're coming from and I love having you in the forum. Really, I didn't take any offense at all.

<sniff> (<-------------------joke!)

The acetone vapor thing doesn't appeal to me very much. I like 3d printing a whole bunch, but I dislike toxic chemicals even more.

The thing I found interesting about the cat was that oil paint worked well with ABS. By comparison of a sort, acrylic paints didn't work well with PLA when I tried that.

But I'm just playing around with different stuff. I'm looking into ceramic now, and different ways of casting and sculpting it with 3d printed molds and armatures. No end to the fun in M2ville!