Show off your prints!!!
jimc

Re: 3d printed speakers

Post by jimc » Sun Dec 28, 2014 12:23 am

:mrgreen:

Bratag

Post by Bratag » Mon Mar 16, 2015 8:03 pm

Finally got my speakers finished. Was a good learning experience in dialing in my printer and also using XTC-3d to smooth the prints. Lessons learned

Printed: 0.25mm.
White PLA
Print time per piece (with a few supports - I suspect jimc E3D eliminated the need for him to have supports) about 8 hours per piece at 80mm/s

1) Be sparing with the XTC - its far better to put on 3 thin coats that try put on a thick coat. I got some drips which mar an otherwise amazing surface. Its a good alternative when you don't have an amazing painter like jimc on hand. If you wanted a matte surface it sands beautifully into a soft surface and I seriously considered it.
2) Don't do the XTC coating inside - its an epoxy - it stinks and it will make you light headed
3) The speakers need to be air tight, They work by funneling air and using the shell structure like a baffle.
4) The sound from the speakers is good, a little lacking in the low end but I am working on both packing the speakers with foam peanuts (yes I know it sounds strange but Ive had good results on other speakers with them) and also designing a cover to go over the actual speaker over which nylons (yes the ladies undergarment) will be stretched. Doing so cuts some of the high end buzz.
5) The spikes for the speaker cables are slightly too small and need to be glued into place (or use plumbers tape to increase the peg size. In addition they are very long inside the speaker and touch - some electricians tape sorted that issue.

Can't thank Jimc enough for the model. I suspect these could become a great gift for people you really like :)

Sorry for the potato quality of the pics
Attachments
speakers3-scaled.jpg
speakers3-scaled.jpg (454.19 KiB) Viewed 11038 times
speakers2-scaled.jpg
speakers2-scaled.jpg (500.41 KiB) Viewed 11038 times
speakers1-scaled.jpg
speakers1-scaled.jpg (520.58 KiB) Viewed 11038 times

jsc

Post by jsc » Mon Mar 16, 2015 8:25 pm

Very nice print.

Some findings from my so far brief experience with XTC:

To avoid runs, keep brushing it until it starts to get a little tacky. You may be worried about leaving brush marks, but it will self level.
Comparing it against using high build primer, I find it more convenient to work with, even with its several hour setting time. You need several coats of primer to get the same thickness of coverage. You do have to sit there brushing it for 15 minutes, but that is easier than taking multiple trips out to the garage to put on another coat of primer, especially in the winter. And the smell is less offensive than the heavy smell of paint spray leaking into the house.
XTC seems sturdier once set.
You need very small amounts of it to cover a surprising amount of surface. I find it difficult to dose it out in small enough quantities. 10g/5g of each part will be way more than you probably need for anything coming off your printer.

Bratag

Post by Bratag » Mon Mar 16, 2015 8:29 pm

Good point regarding the brushing until tacky. The sides that came out perfect were the last int he sequence and the substance was getting tackier at that point. On another note - put the second coat on when about 1 hour or so after the first - when the first coat is no longer runny but is definitely tacky. Helps with that auto leveling jsc mentioned.

All in all its a great product.

jsc

Post by jsc » Mon Mar 16, 2015 8:40 pm

Also... what is all that stuff in the background? You have a lot of toys.

Bratag

Post by Bratag » Mon Mar 16, 2015 9:10 pm

jsc wrote:Also... what is all that stuff in the background? You have a lot of toys.

Yes - yes I do :)

Remember when you were a kid and the adults said "When you grow up you can do/have whatever you want"
Well I took that to heart. In the background is my sound activated foam disc thrower, my robot platform with gripper attachment and my voice controlled R2D2.

sthone

Post by sthone » Mon Mar 16, 2015 9:29 pm

Bratag wrote:Remember when you were a kid and the adults said "When you grow up you can do/have whatever you want"
Well I took that to heart.
This guy knows how to enjoy life, I like that. :D

-Steve

insta

Post by insta » Mon Mar 16, 2015 10:19 pm

Bratag wrote:
jsc wrote:Also... what is all that stuff in the background? You have a lot of toys.

Yes - yes I do :)

Remember when you were a kid and the adults said "When you grow up you can do/have whatever you want"
Well I took that to heart. In the background is my sound activated foam disc thrower, my robot platform with gripper attachment and my voice controlled R2D2.
I think we're friends now
Custom 3D printing for you or your business -- quote [at] pingring.org

PcS

Post by PcS » Mon Mar 16, 2015 11:09 pm

Wow is all I can say !!! :o The wood grained ones are amazing !!! Stellar work as usual Jim !!!

Jules

Post by Jules » Tue Mar 17, 2015 12:06 am

They're all amazing! (And I'm green with envy. :mrgreen: )