Don Foley Astrolabe Tree Ornament

Show off your prints!!!
Dave K

Don Foley Astrolabe Tree Ornament

Post by Dave K » Sun Dec 07, 2014 6:51 pm

Don Foley is offering this Christmas tree ornament free in his print store (http://donfoley.com/3d-printing/3d-print-store). The quality of his designs are top notch.

I've got some gluing and finishing to do, but that's a job for next weekend. I thought I'd show the unfinished, loose fitted assembly (white PolyMax filament) so if anyone is interested in making a cool and different Christmas ornament, you'll have ample time. A similar, finished print, is here: http://donfoley.com/3d-printing/project ... ary-sphere, with an explanation of his finishing process.

Merry Christmas, even if it's a little early :)
Attachments
IMG_7180.JPG
(273.93 KiB) Downloaded 747 times

jimc

Re: Don Foley Astrolabe Tree Ornament

Post by jimc » Sun Dec 07, 2014 8:16 pm

cool. glad to see someone made it. i downloaded it the other day from his site. i always love don's stuff.

jdacal

Post by jdacal » Mon Dec 08, 2014 4:08 am

Very detailed. Nice!
jdacal

live print feed: http://enctrading.com/printcam/
See me Crash and Burn in Real time!

Dave K

Post by Dave K » Tue Dec 09, 2014 12:30 am

Thanks. It was my first print using PolyMakr's PolyMax filament (PLA based), and I was impressed with the detail. I expected it to be a little more oozy than it was, more like PET, but it wasn't bad at all.

If Jim makes one of these, I hope he'll post the finished product (hint). I definitely need to educate myself on post processing, and his finished prints are gorgeous. For that matter, Don Foley's armillary sphere looks great the way he finished it, as well.

jimc

Post by jimc » Tue Dec 23, 2014 9:54 pm

ok i finally got around to printing don's model. i printed this in abs. i didnt go nuts with finishing it. just a quick 15min job.
IMG_3826.JPG
IMG_3826.JPG (101.64 KiB) Viewed 10344 times

mbonadio

Post by mbonadio » Wed Dec 24, 2014 1:19 am

@jimc why can't you just tell us it took a couple of hours :-) It looks amazing as usual, well done and thanks for sharing, it's always great to see what you do. It leaves the rest of us hoping that one day we can learn it as well.

Happy Holidays
Michael

Dave K

Post by Dave K » Wed Dec 24, 2014 1:28 am

mbonadio wrote:@jimc why can't you just tell us it took a couple of hours :-) It looks amazing as usual, well done and thanks for sharing, it's always great to see what you do. It leaves the rest of us hoping that one day we can learn it as well.

Happy Holidays
Michael
That's one of the reasons I love seeing Jim's work. I'd be happy if I could do one of his 15 minute jobs in a couple hours. I'd be happy if I could do it, period! :)

jimc

Post by jimc » Wed Dec 24, 2014 1:38 am

haha well geez guys thats nice of you to say but it truely was easy. im sure you guys could use it if you had the stuff to. i just sprayed it a dark pearl brown like a oil rubbed bronze color then i took a brass color in an airbrush and highlighted the edges real quick and its done. i didnt bother priming or sanding anything. i left the layer marks just as it came off the printer.

Dale Reed

Post by Dale Reed » Wed Dec 24, 2014 2:17 am

jimc, you do realize that the rest of us manage to spray a rattle can (thanks for that term, now I know) of Rust-Oleum or Krylon all over our good clothes more than we get on the part. Drips. Runs. Orange-peel. Ick.

I did a work project in an auto plant paint shop --- those guys find defects and rework stuff that looks WAY better than I could do. I saw some panels that they use to train new employees, with defects circled, and I could hardly find the defect, even with prompting.

Airbrush?!? Hah!!! I have a 2 HP air compressor that my dad gave me, rusting away in the garage, behind the electric chainsaw whose motor I fried. You are the guy the rest of us pay to do it right! (I'm afraid what it would cost for you to go over my grandmother's 1962 Corvair...)
Dale