Rose

Show off your prints!!!
nokianich

Rose

Post by nokianich » Fri Jan 23, 2015 3:29 pm

Hello,

This is my print of rose taken from thingeverse. I used layer width of .35, ABS Dark Night (black) color... Can you explain me pls how printer will print .50 (that what was in properties in S3D) if nozzle is .35? and what is multiplier in S3D Layer Settings?
2.jpg
2.jpg (283.49 KiB) Viewed 3720 times

ednisley

Re: Rose

Post by ednisley » Fri Jan 23, 2015 5:28 pm

nokianich wrote:how printer will print .50 ... if nozzle is .35? and what is multiplier in S3D Layer Settings?
Here's a sketch I use in my OpenSCAD modeling class that shows what's happening at the nozzle:
Fundamental Sizes.jpg
Fundamental sizes at 3D printer nozzle
Fundamental Sizes.jpg (113.94 KiB) Viewed 3709 times
A 0.35 mm nozzle can produce a wider thread, simply because the molten plastic bulges out on either side of the hole. The maximum width should be less than the diameter of the nozzle tip; 0.5 mm should work well.

The Extrusion Multiplier is the only free variable in the equation the slicer uses to determine how much filament to use per millimeter of XY motion. You set the filament diameter (to match the measured value) and the number of steps required to move the filament one millimeter, so the slicer knows the volume of plastic going into the extruder. On the output side, you set the thread width and thickness, so the slicer knows the volume per mm of XY travel. You adjust the Extrusion Multiplier so that the actual thread width matches the setting you defined in the slicer: you must determine it by measuring a test object.

Search through the forums for "Extrusion Multiplier" and you'll find plenty of additional discussion that will provide more depth.