ollie

Show off your prints!!!
jimc

ollie

Post by jimc » Mon Mar 23, 2015 3:45 pm

i did a print of walter's ollie character posted on thingiverse. will at intservo gave me a sample of the esun bronze filament a while back that i never had a chance to try out so i figured this would be good for that. he gave me just enough since i woke up this morning with only 6" of filament still in the ptfe feed tube. the lighter color print is right off the printer. the second darker pic i gave it an aged bronze appearance just by wiping some dark brown glaze on it.

IMG_4185.JPG
IMG_4185.JPG (55.9 KiB) Viewed 7748 times
IMG_4186.JPG
IMG_4186.JPG (52.31 KiB) Viewed 7748 times

insta

Re: ollie

Post by insta » Mon Mar 23, 2015 3:53 pm

Yeah I've liked that bronze stuff from eSUN. I had to change my multiplier like crazy though, I think I ran at 0.67? I also could only use the V4 PTFE, the V3b kept jamming.
Custom 3D printing for you or your business -- quote [at] pingring.org

jimc

Post by jimc » Mon Mar 23, 2015 4:05 pm

the dia of the stuff i have here is pretty consistent. i used my stock pla profile for it at .1 layer height. nothing special for settings. it does have a rough texture to the outside of the filament though. i noticed it doesnt slide through the feed tube as easily as other filaments. the reprapper copper is the same way. my e3d is ptfe lined as well. i could see jamming being an issue in non ptfe lined hot ends. i had a jammin problem as well until i noticed that my hot end fan was off so the heat started creeping up a little. its not normally an issue with the e3d. you almost dont need the fan but since the bronze stuff is pla it will just get mushy in the tube and be hard to feed. the v3b doesnt have a heat break and has a longer hot zone so i can see that jamming in that hot end or atleast hard to feed.

Jules

Post by Jules » Mon Mar 23, 2015 4:57 pm

I like the bronze....eventually might have to try a new nozzle. :D

insta

Post by insta » Tue Mar 24, 2015 3:28 am

jimc wrote:the dia of the stuff i have here is pretty consistent. i used my stock pla profile for it at .1 layer height. nothing special for settings. it does have a rough texture to the outside of the filament though. i noticed it doesnt slide through the feed tube as easily as other filaments. the reprapper copper is the same way. my e3d is ptfe lined as well. i could see jamming being an issue in non ptfe lined hot ends. i had a jammin problem as well until i noticed that my hot end fan was off so the heat started creeping up a little. its not normally an issue with the e3d. you almost dont need the fan but since the bronze stuff is pla it will just get mushy in the tube and be hard to feed. the v3b doesnt have a heat break and has a longer hot zone so i can see that jamming in that hot end or atleast hard to feed.
Not only does it behave like regular PLA, but the bronze particles actually conduct heat back up the filament even faster... big no-no in the V3b, but again fine in the V4.
Custom 3D printing for you or your business -- quote [at] pingring.org

jimc

Post by jimc » Tue Mar 24, 2015 3:29 am

yeah i didnt think about that. your probably right.
IMG_4543.jpg
IMG_4543.jpg (207.73 KiB) Viewed 7487 times

you can see the areas i buffed. it smoothed out the layer lines on the high spots making it smooth and shiny.

IMG_4545.jpg
IMG_4545.jpg (177.63 KiB) Viewed 7484 times