intake manifold

Show off your prints!!!
jimc

intake manifold

Post by jimc » Sat Jun 20, 2015 5:39 am

here is a prototype print i did recently for an engineering firm. not sure what vehicle this intake goes to. this thing is about 2ft long. i was given the model and i sliced it up in rhino into printable pieces. the main body was sliced into 4 separate chunks and the 4 tubes were chopped into 2 tube sections. the customer decided to have me paint it and he wanted it to look like a sand cast aluminum. i knew since you would never see the plastic itself i decided to burn up all my smaller rolls of whatever i had laying around on this thing. some parts are pla, some petg, some abs and its all different colors. glued it all up with methylene chloride, did 3 coats of polyester primer on it, sanded it smooth and it was read for the texturing. mixed up some more primer, tossed it in my spray gun with the psi really low so it just spit all over it. let it cure and shot some silver basecoat on it.
IMG_4525.jpg
IMG_4525.jpg (158.86 KiB) Viewed 11431 times
IMG_4528.jpg
IMG_4528.jpg (138.8 KiB) Viewed 11431 times

lem

Re: intake manifold

Post by lem » Sat Jun 20, 2015 6:23 am

It looks like an exhaust manifold. I don't think the PLA can take the heat! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Yeah, I know he said it was intake.

Looks really good Jim.

PcS

Post by PcS » Sat Jun 20, 2015 1:13 pm

Wow nice work !!! You never seem to fail to impress with the stuff you do. Someday when I get around to building my custom bike I'm going to have to have you paint it for me !!!!

jimc

Post by jimc » Sat Jun 20, 2015 1:34 pm

Thanks guys

Jules

Post by Jules » Sat Jun 20, 2015 2:01 pm

Looks exactly like cast aluminum - great job! :D

Dale Reed

Post by Dale Reed » Sat Jun 20, 2015 10:12 pm

jimc needs to teach us all how to do quality finishing. I have a 2 HP air compressor and an old spray gun for automotive work and no clue how to use them. (Given to my by my dad, who did lots of car work. NOT my forte!!!)

As for me, I usually start painting vertical surfaces like walls and fences by knocking the bucket over on a hardwood floor or driveway. Thank goodness for wall-to-wall carpet. (No, insta, I don't have wall-to-wall carpet on my driveway! :oops: )

jereywolf

Post by jereywolf » Sun Jun 21, 2015 3:21 pm

Awesome work with the texture! I have seen other builders using "Feather Fill" polyester primer with great results. What did you use? Are the rattle can filler primers comparable to the polyester stuff?

jimc

Post by jimc » Sun Jun 21, 2015 3:36 pm

yes featherfill g2 is what i use here in the shop. rattle can primers dont even come close. nothing from a rattle will get you really professional results. anything from a rattle can isnt catalyzed so there is no crosslinking taking place so your never left with a finish that has any chemical resistance or durability. without that you can just wipe the finish off. think of polyester primer as more of a sprayable bodyfiller. its super thick stuff and will build up over imperfections and layer lines without shrinking or sinking down the road. you dont usually paint directly on the stuff. you put a regular urethane primer over top of it. you need a spray gun with a massive sized nozzle to spray it. i have a gun specifically for it and the nozzle is 2.5mm. after its cured it can be sanded smooth then i apply urethane primer then goto my color. in any case, everything i use is catalyzed from start to finish.

Farr0wn3d

Post by Farr0wn3d » Wed Jun 24, 2015 1:12 am

Lem, can't say I've come across many exhaust manifolds that have fuel injector bungs at each port ;) :D

Jimc, this piece looks awesome! i can believe how realistic is looks!

lem

Post by lem » Wed Jun 24, 2015 3:40 am

Lem, can't say I've come across many exhaust manifolds that have fuel injector bungs at each port ;) :D
Missed that .........

I'm a carburetor guy.