Hydrogen Generator

Show off your prints!!!
pyronaught

Re: Hydrogen Generator

Post by pyronaught » Mon Jun 20, 2016 4:00 pm

I'm building a compact, portable rolling cabinet for the hydrogen generator now. I've decided to go for a nuclear reactor type of look :)

I just put food coloring in the bubblers and then stuck LED puck lights under them, but you have to admit that it looks pretty cool! The effect is even better when the unit is running and you have all the bubbles rising up through the green glowing canisters.
hydrogen_cell8.jpg
Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted.

Jules

Post by Jules » Mon Jun 20, 2016 4:03 pm

Shades of Frankenstein! Cool! 8-)

Slipshine

Post by Slipshine » Tue Jun 21, 2016 6:54 pm

Shades of the NSA stopping by....

Honey did one of the neighborhood kids get a new drone???

Neep

Post by Neep » Tue Jun 21, 2016 8:36 pm

pyronaught wrote:Printing at 10,000 mm/min now and still getting good results. I never thought I'd see myself printing into the red zone in S3D! A frame that used to take about an hour to print is now taking 27 minutes :)
Just read this whole thread. Pretty amazing and not something I would have the confidence to do (and I'm a materials engineer IRL). Very impressed.

That said, how are you printing at 10,000mm/min? Did you just up the values in S3D and it works? Did you have to do anything else?

pyronaught

Post by pyronaught » Tue Jun 21, 2016 9:24 pm

Neep wrote:
pyronaught wrote:Printing at 10,000 mm/min now and still getting good results. I never thought I'd see myself printing into the red zone in S3D! A frame that used to take about an hour to print is now taking 27 minutes :)
Just read this whole thread. Pretty amazing and not something I would have the confidence to do (and I'm a materials engineer IRL). Very impressed.

That said, how are you printing at 10,000mm/min? Did you just up the values in S3D and it works? Did you have to do anything else?

The final speed I dialed in while still getting reliable quality was 9000 mm/min. The 10000 speed resulted in a rough top surface sometimes. I'm printing at high temp of 265c, which decreases the viscosity of the filament and allows me to push it through the nozzle at a faster rate. The part itself also lends itself to high print speeds due to being mostly long straight lines with no intricate details. ABS also tolerates high speed printing well too.

pyronaught

Post by pyronaught » Tue Jun 21, 2016 9:37 pm

That balloon I filled in the video finally lost enough gas to stop floating yesterday, so I lit it off with a torch. Since only the hydrogen leaks out of it, the oxygen stays behind and thus the percentage of oxygen increases over time. By the time it stops floating, the hydrogen to oxygen level reaches the explosive level, which also become sensitive to static. So when using this in RC blimps, I'm going to have to monitor internal oxygen levels and dump it before it gets to an unsafe level. Continually topping it off with more hydrogen from the machine would slowly increase the oxygen percentage over time as well, although you could probably get away with doing that a few times. If I could generate 100% pure hydrogen this wouldn't be an issue, but there's 4% to 5% oxygen contamination in what the machine produces. If half the hydrogen leaks out, that becomes 8% to 10%, which is the low end of the kaboom zone.

pyronaught

Post by pyronaught » Sat Jun 25, 2016 5:39 am

Getting close to finishing this thing. Got all the plumbing done, control panel installed and cooling system installed. All the components are there, the only thing left is doing all the electrical wiring.
hydrogen_cell9.jpg

Slipshine

Post by Slipshine » Sun Jun 26, 2016 4:47 pm

I have really enjoyed following this project. I would like to thank you for taking the time to share this incredible build.

I was wondering how much pressure can the system generate before its a problem .

Also is there an effective way to compress and store for later use.

Thanks.

insta

Post by insta » Sun Jun 26, 2016 5:06 pm

As far as I can tell, this produces a mixed blend of hydrogen and oxygen. You CAN compress it, just not within any space you wish to continue inhabiting as a contiguous human being as opposed to a mile-wide cloud of person-vapor.
Custom 3D printing for you or your business -- quote [at] pingring.org

Jules

Post by Jules » Sun Jun 26, 2016 5:41 pm

insta wrote:As far as I can tell, this produces a mixed blend of hydrogen and oxygen. You CAN compress it, just not within any space you wish to continue inhabiting as a contiguous human being as opposed to a mile-wide cloud of person-vapor.
:lol: :lol: :lol: (Oh man, I needed that this morning!) :D