ThingVerse is it just Me?

Show off your prints!!!
wmgeorge

ThingVerse is it just Me?

Post by wmgeorge » Fri Dec 18, 2015 12:08 am

I was looking for a IPhone 6 stand for my wife to take to work. Seems if she has the phone on her desk it gets lost under all the papers and who knows what else. I have had this experience before, a lot of 3D printing STL files on ThingVerse really are not designed right nor do they print right. This IPhone stand project is one. It printed but the upright supports were only one layer thick? It would be nice to have the actual design file of the STL file posted so it could be modified.

I think we have a lot of designers posting files but no actual 3D printing people.
Retired Master Electrician, Commercial HVAC/R,CNC Router

Jules

Re: ThingVerse is it just Me?

Post by Jules » Fri Dec 18, 2015 12:28 am

Yep. :?

I actually printed one the other day that will hold the 6 plus, vertically or horizontally.

http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:525066

I'll probably re-work it one of these days and make it wider, although it does pretty well as long as you're not constantly poking it.

Tim

Post by Tim » Fri Dec 18, 2015 2:36 am

You get what you pay for!

I know a lot of projects that I've worked on require numerous iterations, and I end up with lots of different versions of things, and when I go put it up on Thingiverse, I have to sort through all that to figure out what was the last version I printed. Sometimes the print takes a long time, and I just sand/carve/cut the thing to the right dimension if it's easier than printing it all over again, then sometimes an untested correction for that goes into the Thingiverse version. Today I printed my maze box off of Thingiverse and found that it was way too little clearance between the two pieces---the result of making a post-print correction (that was apparently wrong, looks like I might have added the tolerance value where I should have subtracted it).

And I'm one of the (probably minority) of posters who insist that whatever model I post must have been printed at least once.

Jules

Post by Jules » Fri Dec 18, 2015 2:59 am

:lol: That's pretty darned good - I've usually got to run through half a dozen iterations (at least) before i get one that works well enough to post.

Some things that i try just don't work. As in my last attempt at designing a phone stand....too top-heavy. Looked cool though. Gave up and printed the one at the top link.
(And i need to re-work that fan guard - it lets the fan clip the clamps on larger area prints.)

But all must wait....have switched hats to Essential Oil supply elf to the family.....and they do keep me hoppin' right before the annual X-mas distribution. :D
(And unfortunately, I have got a serious buzz on right now, from getting them on my hands all day.) :shock:

Bratag

Post by Bratag » Fri Dec 18, 2015 3:20 am

wmgeorge wrote:I was looking for a IPhone 6 stand for my wife to take to work. Seems if she has the phone on her desk it gets lost under all the papers and who knows what else. I have had this experience before, a lot of 3D printing STL files on ThingVerse really are not designed right nor do they print right. This IPhone stand project is one. It printed but the upright supports were only one layer thick? It would be nice to have the actual design file of the STL file posted so it could be modified.

I think we have a lot of designers posting files but no actual 3D printing people.
This is the reason the first thing I learnt modelling on was a case for my Nexus 5. All the cases were designed around this model that was NOT the right size caused me no end of grief. Thingiverse is hit or miss - some things are great, others - not so much.

jsc

Post by jsc » Fri Dec 18, 2015 6:55 am

So, which thing was the subpar one?

I quite liked this iPhone 6 dock: http://www.thingiverse.com/make:137367

It becomes easier, with an experienced eye, to see which files will have little chance of working out. Even some very popular, featured items often have bad-for-printing areas. To a first approximation, you can ignore anything that uses a render as the main image.

I do wish that Thingiverse would put in some group curation features; even just putting things liked by people you follow in your dashboard would be good. Their "popular" rankings change too slowly, and their "featured" lists are both too rare and too random.

Jules

Post by Jules » Fri Dec 18, 2015 2:47 pm

jsc wrote:So, which thing was the subpar one?

I quite liked this iPhone 6 dock: http://www.thingiverse.com/make:137367
Yeah, I loved your finish work on that one too - doesn't even look printed. :D

wmgeorge

Post by wmgeorge » Fri Dec 18, 2015 5:29 pm

I am printing a holder right now, but this one will be next, it looks great. Printing with that translucent Magenta PETG,

One yesterday I printed in two parts, and it looked like it would slide together, nope the parts needed to be glued!

The other one was so nice looking, BUT it was so thin and it cracked just printing. A comment on the design like mine said it was too thin also.... "response you need to print with thicker walls! " Excuse me but its the design that is wrong, not the printer or slicer.

Jules

Post by Jules » Fri Dec 18, 2015 5:39 pm

Now I'm dying of curiosity. :|

wmgeorge

Post by wmgeorge » Fri Dec 18, 2015 5:56 pm

I think this was the 2 part one, some glue required http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:1077218/#files