2nd day printing with the m2

Show off your prints!!!
Vandal968

Re: 2nd day printing with the m2

Post by Vandal968 » Sun Jan 24, 2016 7:51 pm

Jeremy,
I forgot to ask. How did you pack your M2 for shipment? Did you drive it from Oregon? Anything get knocked out of alignment enroute? I started a thread about traveling with an M2 a while ago, but didn't glean too much insight.

cheers,
c

willnewton

Post by willnewton » Mon Jan 25, 2016 2:54 pm

Vandal968 wrote:Very nice. Is the inlay printed in place, or filled-in afterwards? If after, how?
It is done afterwards. I design the inlay piece and then offset the inlay .20-.40mm to create a cutter that will leave an allowance for the inlay. The cutter is used to make the recess in the substrate. They are printed separately.

It is not hard to do in theory, but if you don't plan the inlay object right, offsetting it can create a mess.

For my grip logo, I have left the inlay raised a couple of mm. To adjust the "height" of the inlay, set the location that you want, then extract a copy of the substrate's surface. By moving or offsetting that surface, you create a cutting surface that you can use to trim the inlay height above, below, or even with the substrate.

It is not a big deal for a flat surface, but my grip is not flat at the inlay location. Using this technique, the raised inlay follows the contours of the surface, So it protrudes at an even height.

I hope that makes some sense. I looked at the GrabCAD files and the issue you will have is that the inlay will be super small and thin, making it difficult to print successfully with a filament printer. On my design I have kept the parts at least 2-3mm wide and tall for ease of printing.

I made this post a while back describing a theoretical drink coaster with an inlay. You might recognize the logo. I stole my own design to repurpose for the grips. ;) The difference is that I made the cutter, then offset it inward to create the inlay, it works either way. viewtopic.php?f=2&t=1518&p=5121#p5121
I'm finally back to where I started two days ago!

A thread with some stuff in it I update every once in a while. viewtopic.php?f=8&t=9
See some of my stuff http://www.thingiverse.com/willnewton/favorites

Voodoodaddy

Post by Voodoodaddy » Mon Jan 25, 2016 3:24 pm

Nice! A fellow 3gun competitor, love the work you guys do for the Stoegers!