Test prints, M2 Rev E. vs M3-ID gallery

Show off your prints!!!
AndyNav

Test prints, M2 Rev E. vs M3-ID gallery

Post by AndyNav » Sat Oct 21, 2017 9:12 pm

I have an M2 and an M3-ID sitting right next to each other at work so I decided to print the same GCode file with each printer and see how they did. Below is a link to a short gallery of the results. I used MakerGear black PLA for both and I used Simplify3D to slice the model at 0.1mm layer height.

https://imgur.com/a/TplT2

airscapes

Re: Test prints, M2 Rev E. vs M3-ID gallery

Post by airscapes » Tue Feb 27, 2018 1:05 pm

New M2 owner here and am wondering, were both machines the same age (number of hours used)? Did you set starting height and bed level on both before the prints? Did both build plates have the same surface material for adhesiion? Was the nozzle on the the M2 ever used for anything other than PLA? Was the extrude tension set exactly the same on both? Lots of unknown variables.
Could you provide the model and all the settings for Simplify3D that were not default so I can see how this prints on a new M2?
This is good for marketing the M3 but not really an Apples to Apples test with all these unknowns.
Thanks
Doug

sthone

Re: Test prints, M2 Rev E. vs M3-ID gallery

Post by sthone » Tue Feb 27, 2018 3:19 pm

I agree on the "not really an Apples to Apples test"... using the same gcode on both printers isn't going to prove anything especially if the profile used to compile the gcode was optimized for the M3 and not the M2. They are two different machines and will require two different profiles.

Slicing and printing the same STL file using profiles perfectly calibrated to "each" specific machine would be a better test to show comparison I think.