Atypical 3D Print(s)

Show off your prints!!!
Rockerdave

Atypical 3D Print(s)

Post by Rockerdave » Fri Aug 17, 2018 2:48 am

.I got interested in 3D printing to create diorama pieces for my 1/18 diecast car collection. This model is my first attempt of a vintage Texaco Gas Station for my American 60's-70's era shelf. I duplicated an existing restored Texaco Station located in Arkansas by looking at 5 photograghs of it, I've never actually seen it in person. I've included one of the photographs of it for reference. I've worked the last 30 years as an Automotive Design Engineer with as many years experience using various CAD SYSTEMS. That said I made all my own models from scratch developing the scale first by printing one of the photographs and measuring the height of the door and from there developing a starting point for the scale factor. Then I put the ABS 3D printed door next to my diecast models and figures for a couple days to see if it seemed correct. The final model is comprised of nearly 50 separate printed pieces. The only pieces that weren't 3D printed are the roof which is a sheet of ABS, the sign back is a sheet of clear acrylic, and the windows are ploystrene sheets. Finally I assembled it primarily with acetone fusing since ABS filiment was used exclusively. There were certain instances where I needed model glue and clear window cement, everything was painted with conventional enamel modeling paint. In the future I plan on expanding on the diorama by adding the phone booth and a better pump island. Then maybe I'll start developing some of the inventions that have been floating around in my head for the last several years. Thanks for looking.
Attachments
Walker_Texaco_Station_1.jpg
Finally done!
Walker_Texaco_Station_2.jpg
Iso View on Work bench
Walker_Texaco_Station_3.jpg
Placed in the display case for the first time
Walker_Texaco_Station_4.jpg
Side View in display
16172v.jpg
One of the photos used

sthone

Re: Atypical 3D Print(s)

Post by sthone » Fri Aug 17, 2018 7:42 pm

Truly amazing work... spot on to the picture.

Rockerdave

Post by Rockerdave » Sat Aug 18, 2018 1:26 am

Thank you!...

I followed your link and perused your webpage(s)...WOW...JUST WOW...very inspirational...thanks again!

rpollack

Post by rpollack » Wed Aug 29, 2018 8:14 pm

Wow! That's awesome!