Easy lithopanes with Simplify3D

Show off your prints!!!
jsc

Re: Easy lithopanes with Simplify3D

Post by jsc » Tue May 06, 2014 1:54 am

More "lithophane" experiments: I took my previous model and tried to figure out how to morph it onto a cylinder. At first, it seemed like meshmixer could do it, but the spare documentation, confusing UI, and continuous crashes finally turned me away. There's some guy selling some Windows software to do this sort of thing, but I didn't want to spend the $40. So I figured out how to do it in OpenSCAD:

I took the flat panel and embossed it onto a cylinder to get a negative, by recursively differencing it and rotating/translating them two millimeters at a time, like a rack and pinion. Then I differenced the result with a shell to get the original surface, but as the inside surface of a cylindrical pipe. Worked pretty well, but takes 3.5 hours to render.
Attachments
litho2.jpg
litho2.jpg (28.24 KiB) Viewed 9505 times
litho1.jpg
litho1.jpg (46.05 KiB) Viewed 9505 times

jimc

Post by jimc » Tue May 06, 2014 2:03 am

wow thats a cool idea too jin. this is easily done in rhino too. never really thought of it. you could just put one of those led tea lights in the cup to make it glow...if its bright enough. ill have to mess with it.

Tim

Post by Tim » Tue May 06, 2014 2:37 am

Agreed, this is utterly cool.

But it's one of those things that OpenSCAD is slow at because it's trying to do it all the hard way, whereas the geometric manipulations here aren't at all complex. Maybe this is a job for TobyCAD?

jimc

Post by jimc » Tue May 06, 2014 5:16 am

so for your guys settings in s3d, image depth scale was at 2mm, platform height was set to 1.0mm and what about the blur setting. did you have that on and set to what?

jsc

Post by jsc » Tue May 06, 2014 5:26 am

That was left at the default. 1.0, I think.

Platform height was 0.3, but I effectively beefed it up during the wrapping process to 0.4, to make sure it was at least one extrusion width thick all the way around. The platform height will turn into the outermost shell.

jimc

Post by jimc » Tue May 06, 2014 5:28 am

cool jin, thanks!

Toby

Post by Toby » Tue May 06, 2014 5:53 am

Tim wrote:Agreed, this is utterly cool.

But it's one of those things that OpenSCAD is slow at because it's trying to do it all the hard way, whereas the geometric manipulations here aren't at all complex. Maybe this is a job for TobyCAD?
Yeah, if you just want to wrap it around a cylinder that would be easy, provided you had the model saved in a simple format like ASCII stl.

With a little more work you could wrap it around any polygonal extrusion, though not sure why you would want to do that.

Edit: Well come to think of it that could be interesting, like a wavy pattern to stand on a desk, or maybe a light shade.

jsc

Post by jsc » Wed May 07, 2014 6:00 am

I've cleaned up the code and made it customizable by dropping the resolution:

http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:322720

Tim

Post by Tim » Thu May 08, 2014 2:38 am

I have almost caught up with you, Jin! Today I wrote my own lithophane generator in C code, and by this evening coded it to wrap the image around a quarter cylinder. It will process a reasonable-sized photograph in about two seconds. I have not yet tried printing anything from the results, but I think my image conversion algorithm gives better results than the one used by S3D. And, of course, theirs doesn't wrap around a cylinder! Next stop---mapping onto a sphere (the "lithosphere"---get it?).

jimc

Post by jimc » Thu May 08, 2014 2:45 am

ive printed a couple of these now. works really well. it a shame the smooth side is the one that you see. if you flip to the actual textured side it looks so much more crisp and clear. oh well. cool in any case. i am printing out a few of these then im going to make a few wooden boxes with backlights so you can set them on a table. ill post a picture of the completed project.