Print stops (incomplete) after 20+ hrs...need help

Ask the MakerGear community for assistance...
scampa123

Re: Print stops (incomplete) after 20+ hrs...need help

Post by scampa123 » Mon Jun 13, 2016 12:52 am

Okay, I had a couple of things happen today....

I had a print that was working since last night but there was a power outage today and it killed the print..of course..

I went out and bought a UPS and hooked that up and started a new print...disconnected from the computer and I just went in and notice it had stopped....

So now I'm thinking it's the printer itself....I'm not sure what to do here...any thoughts?

btw it failed probably 2hrs in this time...

thanks!!

Jules

Post by Jules » Mon Jun 13, 2016 1:24 am

Power failure or power surge. (Just bad timing - it happens to everyone sooner or later.)

If you're going to try to print a 24 hour item - check the forecast first....a UPS doesn't have enough power to keep a printer going past a few minutes - they're designed to give you time to close what you are doing before you lose a file, not keep a printer running on no other power. (I haven't been able to print for days.) :(

There are usually all kinds of power surges in the line after a power failure - you are gonna have to just wait until it clears up before you start the print.

scampa123

Post by scampa123 » Mon Jun 13, 2016 1:26 am

Well I had the UPS in place for the last run and the print failed in 2hrs...and it wasn't connected to the computer..

I wish there was a log or some way of getting feedback to understand what is going on....

Jules

Post by Jules » Mon Jun 13, 2016 2:09 am

Really don't think there's anything wrong with the printer.....but the stability of the power supply might leave something to be desired. :?

There isn't much you can do if you are having power interruptions - the file is sending hundreds of commands a second - if anything interrupts that flow, even for a split second, it kills the print and you have to start over, or restart the print where it left off. That UPS might not kick in quickly enough to salvage a print....I don't know....I know that the one that i have connected to the computer pauses for a split second before it kicks in and starts providing power. That is enough to save a computer file, but it might not be enough to keep a print running.

jimc

Post by jimc » Mon Jun 13, 2016 2:26 am

check for loose wires, especially the ones going to the ramb board from the power supply. check for burnt or corroded connections on the pins as well.

insta

Post by insta » Mon Jun 13, 2016 2:35 am

scampa123 wrote:Well I had the UPS in place for the last run and the print failed in 2hrs...and it wasn't connected to the computer..

I wish there was a log or some way of getting feedback to understand what is going on....
If you're printing from SD, make sure you actually "Eject" the card rather than just yanking it out.
Custom 3D printing for you or your business -- quote [at] pingring.org

scampa123

Post by scampa123 » Mon Jun 13, 2016 2:49 am

I always eject from the pc....

I'm not aware of a way to eject from the printer itself...

I did check the SD for errors on the Windows computer and it didn't find any...

I've rescliced the file in the latest version of S3D and used all its repair capabilities to ensure its not the file..and I'm running again...

I'm also printing with the enclosure doors open in case the heat build up is messing with the Rambo...

Let's see if I get through it this time...

Jules

Post by Jules » Mon Jun 13, 2016 3:57 am

Are you plugging the M2 into a power outlet on the enclosure?

scampa123

Post by scampa123 » Mon Jun 13, 2016 11:19 am

No, directly into UPS...previously into a powerstrip to the wall outlet

Matt_Sharkey

Post by Matt_Sharkey » Mon Jun 13, 2016 11:56 am

open up the GCode that is on the SD which failed after 20 hours.

Scroll allllll the way to the bottom. Does it have your end script there? does it just end abruptly. You may have transferred the file to SD before S3D had a chance to write the entire GCode, and given that this is a 24 hour print, that's a lot to write. I know that I have done this on more than one occasion with Slic3r.