M2- Revision G not extruding

Ask the MakerGear community for assistance...
Shredder

M2- Revision G not extruding

Post by Shredder » Mon Jan 14, 2019 3:04 pm

So, I got my makergear last week. first time user.

printed the test bracelet prefectly. printed the hexagons perfectly.

Printed one of my models mostly good. but some refinement is needed.

I tried a bigger, longer, three day print.

The Filament broke halfway through. while it was still printing, only half a model came through. and I showed up on monday hoping to see it almost done.
Now, however, none of the filament seems to come through the extruder. and it won't print anything.
any ideas? extruding or retracting doesn't seem to do anything.

Gwhite

Re: M2- Revision G not extruding

Post by Gwhite » Thu Jan 17, 2019 12:21 am

First thing to check is whether the extruder motor is turning. I put a thin black marker stripe across the back end of the motor shaft so I can easily see if it's going round & round. If it isn't, you may have an electrical problem.

If the motor is turning, it's most likely that the extruder has jammed and the gear in the filament drive has chewed a divot in the side of the filament. If you look in from the left side, you may be able to see shreds of filaments stuck in the teeth of the drive gear.

There's quite a bit of info in the forum on cleaning up after an extruder clog/jam. This is the much more likely issue.

As an aside, doesn't anyone know what changes were made between the Rev E (which I have) and the Rev G? I'm curious as to whether I should consider adding any of the new features to my machine. I checked a while back at the 1st mention of the Rev G, and came up empty.

airscapes

Post by airscapes » Thu Jan 17, 2019 1:01 pm

Google finds nothing on a Revision G, and I could find nothing on the MakerGear site, still says E

jprochnow

Post by jprochnow » Fri Jan 18, 2019 3:36 am

Check out link. Rev g on here shows a m3 style frame without octoprint setup.

https://www.makergear.com/pages/user-guides

Gwhite

Post by Gwhite » Sun Jan 20, 2019 2:33 am

The frame doesn't look that different from my M2E, but the way they mount the bed cooling fan to the extruder is definitely a departure. However, I'm not sure I'd consider it an improvement...