Strange change in part during printing

Ask the MakerGear community for assistance...
DESERTMOOSE

Strange change in part during printing

Post by DESERTMOOSE » Wed Dec 29, 2021 10:55 pm

Have an M2, been a great printer. Today I was printing a job and ran into something new. First some background. I have recently been printing with PLA. Today I needed a job done in ABS, so loaded the roll I have used off and on without problems. Purged the cleaning filament until the ABS came out clean. Loaded up the job with my Simplify 3D setting for ABS. Started the print, bed temp was 110, nozzle was 235. The print started normally, looked great on all 16 parts. I watched it for a bit, then left it running. When I came back, I saw that for about halfway through the job, everything was normal, The shorter washers had printed fine but the second half on the taller part had a real strange look, instead of being smooth, it has a rough/ hairy surface. Almost looks like a rough carbide grit grinding burr. Not sure what happened. Maybe a partially clogged nozzle? I tried to past a picture, but don't have an outside storage, so I posted this on the Makergear Club Facebook page, but have had limited response. I would appreciate any suggestions on what to do to correct this. Thanks, Sam

airscapes

Re: Strange change in part during printing

Post by airscapes » Wed Dec 29, 2021 11:49 pm

Assuming it is a single process S3D job and you are looking at some type of mechanical issue:
I would start the job again with 2 or 3 parts and see what happens, does it mess up from the start or wait like before?
I can tell you from experience with my M2 that PLA sucks.. that's a technical term!
Any time I use pla I end up with nozzle clogging issues, even using cleaning filament when done with the PLA as I do when changing filament types. I don't us it anymore if I can help it.. PETG and ABS have been my go to materials even if PLA would work and look nicer.. I try not to us it, I hate the fact it makes the next print with something else a real pain in the ass.
I am guessing there is PLA gunk in your nozzle, especially if you are using the .35mm nozzle.
The other thing could be the ABS is wet, but I would think it would have started that way, not waited till half way up the part.
You should be able to post a photo without outside storage, to to attachments, add the file then click place file in-line to insert the link in your post.

One other non material issue could be the pinion gear on the extruder motor is slipping. That will give really under extruded results and does not give you any indication that is going to happen or has happened.. other than weird prints that seem like there is not enough plastic being extruded.. cause of course there isn't. You can see this when it happens by holding the filament from being pulled into the drive and there is no slipping or grinding noise like a loose bearing to gear will cause.. just stops moving but you can see the shaft of the actual motor turning if you look in the hole in the back of the stepper motor. They sell a pinion gear but after buying one when mine failed, it did not fit so bought the entire motor/extruder assembly.

Hope some of that helps!

DESERTMOOSE

Re: Strange change in part during printing

Post by DESERTMOOSE » Fri Dec 31, 2021 4:10 pm

Not sure what happened the other day. I printed one of the parts with the same roll of filament, same settings, etc. and it came out perfect. here's hoping that whatever it was won't repeat on me.