Need some guidance

Ask the MakerGear community for assistance...
Addiction

Need some guidance

Post by Addiction » Sat Dec 23, 2023 6:49 am

Can't quite figure out what's wrong here and how to fix it. I've tried releveling twice.

For a year everything was perfect but I accidentally deleted my S3D profile and now nothing works.
Attachments
IMG_1575.jpeg

airscapes

Re: Need some guidance

Post by airscapes » Sat Dec 23, 2023 8:37 pm

I am not sure what I am looking at, what type of filament is that, what nozzle size are you using and what layer height.. Once I know that I will give you a factory file to print and we will see what come out. Looks to me like the starting height is too close

Addiction

Post by Addiction » Sun Dec 24, 2023 3:24 am

airscapes wrote:
Sat Dec 23, 2023 8:37 pm
I am not sure what I am looking at, what type of filament is that, what nozzle size are you using and what layer height.. Once I know that I will give you a factory file to print and we will see what come out. Looks to me like the starting height is too close
It's PETG at 230 degrees with a .5 nozzle and a .2 layer height.

airscapes

Post by airscapes » Sun Dec 24, 2023 4:40 am

set your extrusion width to manual and .55 and print the attached. Show me what it looks like when done
2 walls at .55 3mm tall.stl
(1.64 KiB) Downloaded 159 times

Addiction

Post by Addiction » Mon Dec 25, 2023 12:12 am

airscapes wrote:
Sun Dec 24, 2023 4:40 am
set your extrusion width to manual and .55 and print the attached. Show me what it looks like when done

2 walls at .55 3mm tall.stl
IMG_1581.jpeg
IMG_1583.jpeg
This prints ok, I'll find my tool and measure it for evenness. I suspect one core is higher than it needs to be and that's why the printing is worse as it gets to that corner.

airscapes

Post by airscapes » Mon Dec 25, 2023 5:03 am

it should be 3mm tall +- .02 and 1.1 - 1.13 mm thick.
PETG does not like thin layers if you are trying to print at .1 mm or something that is not going to work well
I use Overture transparent all thee time, great stuff.. but if Z offset is too close will not work out well at all .

Addiction

Post by Addiction » Mon Dec 25, 2023 6:39 pm

airscapes wrote:
Mon Dec 25, 2023 5:03 am
it should be 3mm tall +- .02 and 1.1 - 1.13 mm thick.
PETG does not like thin layers if you are trying to print at .1 mm or something that is not going to work well
I use Overture transparent all thee time, great stuff.. but if Z offset is too close will not work out well at all .
Airscapes,

Wishing you a very Merry Christmas!!!

Thanks a ton with your help, it is truly appreciated. I was super frustrated when I came in and your approach has helped me calm down. The real problem is I wanted to skip to the end and just have the solution. Two years ago I did a ton of research and reading, got my printer dialed in and then promptly forgot all the stuff. I looked at your suggestions and went back to my research and I've done the following:

- I've made several backups of my print profile for PETG and secured them, never getting screwed by this again.
- I modified my print height because I was too close.
- I adjusted the corner that was highest because that to me was easier than going to bed level which I loathe
- I adjusted my print speed as I was at 5000, I dialed it down to 3600. I also adjusted the first layer speed down to 15% of that to ensure bed adhesion
- I dialed my bed temp down to 70

I'm currently getting fantastic first layer (and subsequent whole layers) but I'm getting some stringing in the infill part of the print when it gets that far. Its not so much that it will interfere with the print but I want to get back to a printing profile I can trust so I'm chasing that down. Currently rereading all my notes on retraction as I'm pretty sure thats whats getting me.

Again thank you so much. I was so frustrated that I couldn't even think clearly and you stopped me from just buying a new printer (I LOATHE BED LEVELING sigh). I mean I'm still goign to get myself a larger printer with a self leveling bed, but thats later in the year not now.

Addiction

Post by Addiction » Mon Dec 25, 2023 8:03 pm

So I think I just have to track down cleaning up some of the artifacts being created in infill, Its not as clean as I'd like but nothing thats being picked up by the extruder.

Addiction

Post by Addiction » Mon Dec 25, 2023 8:47 pm

Addiction wrote:
Mon Dec 25, 2023 8:03 pm
So I think I just have to track down cleaning up some of the artifacts being created in infill, Its not as clean as I'd like but nothing thats being picked up by the extruder.
So I was wrong, getting this now. There is still some stringing in the fill areas and thats where this is getting picked up. I slowed her down about 10% and doing another test print to see what I get.

The first layer is now pretty perfect, we'll see what happens when we get up to fill.
IMG_1584.jpeg

airscapes

Post by airscapes » Wed Dec 27, 2023 2:57 am

I think you may haver your extrusion multiplier a bit to high and maybe starting Z is not correct, did the square come out at 3mm tall and 1.1 thick? The ugly gob poop is indicative or PETG and can be made worse if over extruding or too close on the start Z offset.. even with all things perfect it still happens.. nothing worse that white PET top layer with a brown turd on it..