help..new owner with problems

Ask the MakerGear community for assistance...
kosal850

help..new owner with problems

Post by kosal850 » Sun May 04, 2014 3:34 am

Just recieved my m2 today. Assembled it as per the instructions. Went to power it up. Powered up for the first couple minutes. then now it wont power up. No rambo green led lit.
I measured for voltage at the rambo power connector. I get zero voltage coming out of the power supply..Im an electrician by day. So i know my way around electricity. I have a spare 24v power supply from another printer to try.
But could there be another cause of my problems. I checked all the fuses on the rambo all read good... power supply seems to be the culprit.

ok like a dummy, i just realized this is a 24v power supply and i was trying to read 12v so the power supply is good after switching my meter to 24v range. I'm still not getting any power to the rambo board it seems.

jsc

Re: help..new owner with problems

Post by jsc » Sun May 04, 2014 3:53 am

If your power supply is dead, it's dead. Contact support for a replacement, it should be covered under warranty. Doesn't sound like there was a short or anything like that, as nothing smoked, so I would just blame it on a bad supply before any further digging is warranted.

kosal850

Post by kosal850 » Sun May 04, 2014 4:00 am

ok well, i just figured out what was going on. my x endstop was triggered. so that was shutting everything down for some reason (IS THIS NORMAL????? SHOULD THE ENDSTOP SHUT EVERYTHING DOWN????? ). moved the x axis off the endstop everything came back online...

jsc

Post by jsc » Sun May 04, 2014 4:03 am

Not normal. Check the wiring on your x end stop where it goes into the Rambo, make sure it is in the correct orientation.

Run through the tests under http://makergear.wikidot.com/m2-getting-started#toc10 (and all the other sections of that document).

kosal850

Post by kosal850 » Sun May 04, 2014 4:07 am

jsc wrote:Not normal. Check the wiring on your x end stop where it goes into the Rambo, make sure it is in the correct orientation.

Run through the tests under http://makergear.wikidot.com/m2-getting-started#toc10 (and all the other sections of that document).

hmm. its plugged in as per the wiring guide. with the open slot of the connector over the +. checking out the link now.

kosal850

Post by kosal850 » Sun May 04, 2014 4:14 am

ok, seems i plugged in the connectors wrong for the min endstops. i was looking at the bottom row for polarity thinking it was the same for the top row. of course the top row is backwards.. :oops:

Thanks for the help..

Dale Reed

Post by Dale Reed » Sun May 04, 2014 4:21 am

Make sure the 6-pin Phoenix connector from the power supply is fully inserted into the socket at the back of the RAMBo board. This connector has been known to work lose, and there's some pretty good current being pulled, at least when the bed is heating. There have been cases where the connector has pulled partway out, causing a smaller contact point and resulting in some severe heat at the connector, to the point of melting it and really corroding up the pins. So be sure the connector is in all the way and all the wires on it are secured properly by the screws.

Might help narrow things down if you start with the motors, fans, thermistors, limit switches and heating elements unplugged at the RAMBo end, then plug in each one in turn and see if something triggers shutting down. (Pay attention to which way the connectors are oriented for the stepper motors and limit switches. Swapping polarity on the stepper motor connector will reverse the motion. Swapping polarity on the limit switches will cause the switch to pull up to + vs pull down to - when it makes, and the board won't see the switch. Jin is absolutely right about following the checks in the getting started book. Use a popsicle stick to trip the limit the first time you try to home an axis, before the stop actually gets to the limit -- this gives you time to kill power if the switch doesn't work.

Let us know what else you find or if you get it working!
Dale

Dale Reed

Post by Dale Reed » Sun May 04, 2014 4:24 am

kosal850 wrote:ok, seems i plugged in the connectors wrong for the min endstops. i was looking at the bottom row for polarity thinking it was the same for the top row. of course the top row is backwards.. :oops:
Thanks for the help..
Looks like I was typing while you were fixing! Glad you got it worked out.

Welcome to the fun!

Dale

kosal850

Post by kosal850 » Sun May 04, 2014 4:25 am

another question.. is the fan for the rambo box supposed to be pulling air out or pushing air in. right now I have it so the air is being pushed in. Shouldn't be the other way around pulling hot air out? or does it matter.?

Dale Reed

Post by Dale Reed » Sun May 04, 2014 4:27 am

kosal850 wrote:another question.. is the fan for the rambo box supposed to be pulling air out or pushing air in. right now I have it so the air is being pushed in. Shouldn't be the other way around pulling hot air out? or does it matter.?
Doesn't really matter. The RAMBo really doesn't get that hot. As long as there's air flow over it, you're fine. You might like it better push air down and in --- when it blows upward, it tends to cool the bottom of the heated bed just a tad. Nothing huge, might take a few seconds longer to heat the bed to temperature on powerup. I recommend you leave it as is.
Dale