Printer can't connect to computer (simplify3D)

Ask the MakerGear community for assistance...
jbrodzz

Printer can't connect to computer (simplify3D)

Post by jbrodzz » Fri Jul 11, 2014 3:33 pm

Hey everyone,

Yesterday I printed from an SD Card for the first time. Today, when I attempt to connect to the computer via USB, the program reads, (see attachment). Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Attachments
Untitled.jpg
Here is my screen
(531.45 KiB) Downloaded 1120 times

jsc

Re: Printer can't connect to computer (simplify3D)

Post by jsc » Fri Jul 11, 2014 3:56 pm

Select the proper port (it's empty).

ebmonon36

Post by ebmonon36 » Fri Jul 11, 2014 4:04 pm

I've noticed it does that occasionally if I plug in the printer after I have started S3D. If selecting the port doesn't do it, I just restart S3d with the printer plugged in.

Eric

willnewton

Post by willnewton » Fri Jul 11, 2014 4:07 pm

I have a Mac/M2/S3d combo, but I sometimes have trouble if things are turned on, connected in the wrong order, or software started at the wrong time.

Turn off the printer, exit s3D, unplug the printer USB.
Plug in the USB, turn on the printer (give it a few seconds), then start S3D. It should connect.

Also, make sure you have the correct port selected. I see in your pic there is no port/device selected. I am not sure if that is normal for a PC.

*edit-well, I started this post and had to help a customer, by the time I came back and hit send, the other replies were up already. :lol:
I'm finally back to where I started two days ago!

A thread with some stuff in it I update every once in a while. viewtopic.php?f=8&t=9
See some of my stuff http://www.thingiverse.com/willnewton/favorites

jbrodzz

Post by jbrodzz » Fri Jul 11, 2014 4:14 pm

Alright guys, I have tried all the steps, and here is a photo with the port recognized....
Attachments
two.jpg
(546.34 KiB) Downloaded 1111 times
two.jpg
(546.34 KiB) Downloaded 1111 times

jbrodzz

Post by jbrodzz » Fri Jul 11, 2014 4:15 pm

willnewton wrote:I have a Mac/M2/S3d combo, but I sometimes have trouble if things are turned on, connected in the wrong order, or software started at the wrong time.

Turn off the printer, exit s3D, unplug the printer USB.
Plug in the USB, turn on the printer (give it a few seconds), then start S3D. It should connect.

Also, make sure you have the correct port selected. I see in your pic there is no port/device selected. I am not sure if that is normal for a PC.

*edit-well, I started this post and had to help a customer, by the time I came back and hit send, the other replies were up already. :lol:
Will, I have attempted each of these steps, but to no avail. :( :( :(

willnewton

Post by willnewton » Fri Jul 11, 2014 4:23 pm

jbrodzz, It didn't take long to escalate past my pay grade. ;)

You may have to wait for a PC S3D guy to give you a hand to make sure your COM port selection is correct or suggest deeper troubleshooting. I am sure it will get sorted.

There is also the S3D support forum, which a lot of these guys read/post to as well. http://www.forum.simplify3d.com/index.php
I'm finally back to where I started two days ago!

A thread with some stuff in it I update every once in a while. viewtopic.php?f=8&t=9
See some of my stuff http://www.thingiverse.com/willnewton/favorites

jimc

Post by jimc » Fri Jul 11, 2014 4:26 pm

not s3d related but isnt there a driver or something needed for the m2 on a pc. i cant help much since i am on a mac but i remember something about this.

jsc

Post by jsc » Fri Jul 11, 2014 4:28 pm

You're sure it's on COM3?

Dale Reed

Post by Dale Reed » Fri Jul 11, 2014 8:17 pm

Once everything is connected, hit the "Refresh" button (to the right of the Port drop-down), THEN click the drop-down to see the list of ports. That syntax with the "\\,\" before the COM3 is not "optimal" AFAIK.

And, yes, there is a Rambo driver that gets installed (at least I did on Windows 7). A link to it appears about 2/3 of the way down on the M2-Assembled instruction page (http://www.makergear.com/pages/m2-assembled).

I mostly run my M2 on Linux, which does not require the driver, so I hope I'm still correct on this....
Dale