Simplify3D/Makergear issue

Ask the MakerGear community for assistance...
willnewton

Re: Simplify3D/Makergear issue

Post by willnewton » Sat Jul 26, 2014 8:31 pm

Adjust your support width down to catch details. You can also change the angle it begins to support as well.

Turn off the auto width and set to manual. Try .35

I don't know why, but it seems like I remember reading that the auto setting changes the print width as needed so it actually changes during the print. Setting it to manual locks the width in for the full print.

You may need to check for manifold edges. You may have a "leak" causing print issues.
I'm finally back to where I started two days ago!

A thread with some stuff in it I update every once in a while. viewtopic.php?f=8&t=9
See some of my stuff http://www.thingiverse.com/willnewton/favorites

willnewton

Post by willnewton » Sat Jul 26, 2014 8:56 pm

Pulled your stl into rhino. You got no leaks, but it only took a second to figure out your mammoth issue. Look at the view from the nose or tail and it will become obvious.

I have heard of cow-tipping, but not mammoth-tipping! :lol:

A thread with some stuff in it I update every once in a while. viewtopic.php?f=8&t=9

jimc

Post by jimc » Sat Jul 26, 2014 9:36 pm

i see that too will. another thing thats odd is what is the super thin 1 layer overhang on top of the base for. its not my design but that doesnt look right.

willnewton

Post by willnewton » Sun Jul 27, 2014 5:53 pm

Ok, had a chance to pull it into S3D. I did not print it, but jsc is correct about the odd flange. I looked your STL under the build preview window and these changes will solve your letter fill and support issue.

-change the print width to manual and .35 width
-set your support pillar resolution to 2mm

mhorton

Post by mhorton » Mon Jul 28, 2014 8:55 pm

Thanks, everyone. For CAD, we use PTC Creo because we're a school with robotics teams and PTC gave the software to the schools for free. But even when the objects were combined in Creo, there were still issues with intersections. I don't know what manifold edges are. I guess I'll be looking into that.

Thanks,
Mike

willnewton

Post by willnewton » Tue Jul 29, 2014 5:15 am

Sometimes when you are constructing things the 3d software makes it look like your seams are connected, but due to the way you have constructed them you could have seam with a .012345" (insert small number) gap. Most 3d printers need a watertight object in order to print as designed.

There several reasons bad edges could occur, but you need too see if you have them first, so you actually look for the opposite of a manifold (sealed) edge, which is a naked (unsealed) edge.

Imagine a ziplock bag full of jelly. You seal it, but maybe you miss a bit on the closure and they jelly leaks out.

On a 3d model the edges hold in the math defining the volume of the model, if your edge is not sealed, the math leaks out and your printer goes crazy trying to make sense of it.

Most 3d design software, even S3d, can detect non-manifold edges, some can fix them with varying degree of success. You can also rebuild the bad aspects of your model to solve this issue (best practice).

I have model with an odd flange that exists only in the STL file as well and shows no leaks, but it prints fine on my m2, but it may not print on Company X's printer, due to hardware/firmware/software issues.

Hope that helped a wee bit.