Y Axis Motor issue

Ask the MakerGear community for assistance...
HadMatter

Y Axis Motor issue

Post by HadMatter » Mon Aug 04, 2014 9:33 pm

Folks,

Right as the maker gear M2 moves the plate to begin printing, it seems to have an extra long Y Axis issue, where it moves into place and then grinds as it tries to go farther. The print area works fine, but what could be causing this?

jsc

Re: Y Axis Motor issue

Post by jsc » Mon Aug 04, 2014 11:01 pm

Is your Y end stop working? Trigger it by hand during a Y move and make sure it stops.

willnewton

Post by willnewton » Wed Aug 06, 2014 11:24 pm

Building on jsc's comment: If you are using S3D, you can go to the machine control panel, then the jog control tab, and click "Home Y".

If the limit switch is working the table will stop moving immediately when the carriage or your finger triggers it. If not, time to check those wires and connectors!
I'm finally back to where I started two days ago!

A thread with some stuff in it I update every once in a while. viewtopic.php?f=8&t=9
See some of my stuff http://www.thingiverse.com/willnewton/favorites

Dale Reed

Post by Dale Reed » Thu Aug 07, 2014 2:55 am

Had Matter,

And, further, there are really two things that have to be correct when hooking up the Y-axis limit switch:

1. The wires at the switch must go to the correct 2 of the 3 available terminals on the switch. IIRC (I'm not at my M2 right now), they go to NO and C (across the normally open contact). If you wire to NC and C, the switch won't let Y move at all because the contact will be closed (home) when the Y axis is not at home. If you wire to NC and NO, there's no closed circuit when the bed hits the Y switch because either the normally open contact or the normally closed contact will be open at any given time and you've wired them in series.

2. The connector at the RAMBo must be in the correct orientation. Check the Electronics instruction page and the M2 kit assembly instruction page on this. The pins are +, input and - === the switch will close either + to the input (pull it up), or close - to the input (pull down) depending on which way the connector is inserted. Again, I'm not at my machine to check which way it should be. If you're sure you have #1 correct, try reversing the connector for the Y limit at the RAMBo board and see if that fixes it.

Those, plus the connections have to be good, no broken wires, loose connector pins or connectors, bad crimps, etc.

I'm assuming your M2 is a kit here. If it was factory assembled, send an e-mail to MakerGear support. The machine gets run at the factory before shipping if it's an assembled unit... (Let's just say I've seen them cranking away. Ask Rick how many times I've dropped in! I live about 4 miles from MG...)

Dale

HadMatter

Post by HadMatter » Sun Aug 10, 2014 1:35 am

Gents,

Thank You for the responses.

It actually prints well. It has recently begun to over extend the Y Axis and make the grinding noise just before it starts.

I will look at s3d, but it did not do this previously.

Thank You