4 Hours into print issue

Ask the MakerGear community for assistance...
Bluesoulx12

4 Hours into print issue

Post by Bluesoulx12 » Tue Aug 05, 2014 8:22 pm

Hey all,
Here is a general question, as I could not find any gcode errors.

Background:
I have my M2 printer in a ikea enclosure, but vent it quite frequently.

I was in the middle of a 10 hour build when about 4 hours in the machine just decided to put the tray all the way at the bottom and continue printing for some reason. I am not sure why this happened, but this is the second time this has happen. I did not have time to check the gcode as I was away when the problem occured.

The print itself had no flaws or issues, it just looks like it stopped in the middle of a print.

I am wondering if something overheated possibly? I have had no issues printing sub 4 hours so far and absolutely no problems in quality.

sprior

Re: 4 Hours into print issue

Post by sprior » Tue Aug 05, 2014 8:57 pm

Any chance of it being a power glitch? Are you printing from SD or from a computer?

Bluesoulx12

Post by Bluesoulx12 » Tue Aug 05, 2014 9:53 pm

Printing from my computer. Funny you say a power glitch, while I don't understand exactly what that means the first time it happened I simply re-positioned the power brick and it did the same thing...

Rich

Post by Rich » Tue Aug 05, 2014 10:18 pm

I had a similar problem during one my first overnight prints. It turned out that Windows did an update, AND a restart. Since then, I always disable the internet connection.

jimc

Post by jimc » Tue Aug 05, 2014 10:25 pm

well i think you have your answer there. you have a loose connection there somewhere on the power coming into the printer. i would keep wiggling and moving the power cord and brick to see if you can locate it.

sprior

Post by sprior » Wed Aug 06, 2014 12:37 am

I think you've got it, but by power glitch I was thinking of something that interrupted power to the printer, but not the computer driving it. If you were using a laptop (which has its own battery) and your house power went out for a second, the computer wouldn't notice, but the printer would be reset. A flaky power connection to the printer would have the same effect.