Printer has a mind of its own!

Ask the MakerGear community for assistance...
jbrodzz

Printer has a mind of its own!

Post by jbrodzz » Tue Aug 12, 2014 8:04 pm

Printer has been working fine for a few weeks, but we went to print a job today and the extruder kept printing RIGHT ON TOP of the glass and making it tilt, and at one point, the glass dropped 2" suddenly and moved to the rear of the machine. I tried to recalibrate, but it seems as the machine has a mind of its own. I really need it to be functional. Please help.

Thanks,
Jordan

Also, when the printer first starts a job and the extruder moves to the side of the glass and extrudes onto the table, the extruder hit the glass on the way back to the center.

ANY HELP IS GREATLY APPRECIATED. HAVE A GREAT DAY.

ednisley

Re: Printer has a mind of its own!

Post by ednisley » Tue Aug 12, 2014 8:51 pm

jbrodzz wrote:the machine has a mind of its own
Crazy behavior like that suggests a power problem: either intermittent connections or a failing supply.

Examine all the power connectors for loose wires, burned contacts, and other Bad News. It could be as simple as a (slightly) dislodged connector, but take the time for a careful inspection of everything. Use a multimeter to verify the proper voltages and, ideally, an oscilloscope to verify that the supplies deliver clean DC.

Good hunting!

Dale Reed

Post by Dale Reed » Wed Aug 13, 2014 2:12 am

Jordan,

My first thought is to check the connections on the stepper motors. Make sure all of them are fully inserted and don't get "tugged" on as the machine moves to all its extremes. Check the connections at the RAMBo (electronics) board as well.

Some people have reported issues with noise pickup unless certain wire pairs are twisted inside the harness. (If you have a newer M2, this should not be a problem.)

Hope you find it!
Dale

jbrodzz

Post by jbrodzz » Thu Aug 14, 2014 2:59 pm

I FORGOT TO INCLUDE A MAJOR DETAIL: THE MACHINE WAS ACCIDENTALLY TURNED OFF DURING A PRINT, THEN PROMPTLY TURNED BACK ON.