Bloomin' Onion

Ask the MakerGear community for assistance...
jdacal

Bloomin' Onion

Post by jdacal » Sat Aug 30, 2014 12:25 am

...that's what it started to look like after I took the pictures below a Bloomin' Onion!

I'm printing these for my wife's bathroom vanity. They were printing great at .1 layer height UNTIL it got to the vertical letters on the right rail running down the middle. I'm thinking the issue is with the supports.

What its doing is there's another similar rail to the left out of the frame of the picture with the exact same letters. What its doing is it will do one letter in the middle rail then shoots off to the left to do that same letter on the rail outside the picture frame, then comes back for the next and back and forth and so on until it does all the letters. but its leaving these awfull strings. Only when doing the letters, perfectly clean for the rest of the print.

What can I adjust to stop that? I've attached factory file for those that like those.

One final note. the problem seems to be with the supports being runny, the parts of the letters that were printed were well defined and solid. The supports are either not there or I assume were dragged across the print in those strings. This was sliced by S3D. .1 layer height, 80% in-fill, Pink Neon PLA 220 degrees, 60 degrees bed. This is a 24v hotend.

Sorry for the blurry pictures, it was still running when I took them. Ended up turning it off when I noticed the letters were going to be affected by the lack of in-fill.

Thanks!

EDIT: By the way the half-moon shaped supports on the left side of those cross braces printed fine.
EDIT: EDIT: The walls are 3mm in case that makes a difference.
2014-08-29 16.17.56_1.jpg
While printing vertical letters, the support material seems to string to the left as the head goes to work on similar letters off to the left side of the screen.
2014-08-29 16.17.56_1.jpg (196.93 KiB) Viewed 4074 times

2014-08-29 16.18.36_1.jpg
Including this one for visual reference.
2014-08-29 16.18.36_1.jpg (154.87 KiB) Viewed 4074 times
Attachments
Makeup Storage.zip
Factory File
(824.95 KiB) Downloaded 357 times
jdacal

live print feed: http://enctrading.com/printcam/
See me Crash and Burn in Real time!

jdacal

Re: Bloomin' Onion

Post by jdacal » Sat Aug 30, 2014 3:49 pm

I think part of the problem is the font I'm using, it has a lot of "floating" (for example the center piece of the letter "e" not attached to anything) pieces in some of the letters, might have confused S3D in setting up the supports?

Anyway, I switched over to "Stencil" font which doesn't have these types of pieces and will try re-printing today to see what happens.
jdacal

live print feed: http://enctrading.com/printcam/
See me Crash and Burn in Real time!