Molex Connectors for Fans = ??

Ask the MakerGear community for assistance...
Lateralg

Molex Connectors for Fans = ??

Post by Lateralg » Sat Aug 30, 2014 2:36 pm

I'm looking for specs for M2 fan Molex connectors. Specifically, type and size.
Gary
Make Better Things
Make Things Better

Tim

Re: Molex Connectors for Fans = ??

Post by Tim » Sun Aug 31, 2014 7:44 pm

Hello Gary,

Look on page 5 of the "E3D V6" thread under "Modifications"

viewtopic.php?f=10&t=346&start=40#p3072

I was connecting my E3Dv6 extruder to the existing Molex connectors. However, I had an old model M2 where the fan connectors are just 2-pin headers, not Molex. When I got the dual extruder kit, I found that the fans had Molex connectors on them, and had to do even more rewiring. The dual extruder wiring is so tightly crammed together that it's difficult for me to see right now what is connected to what, but my recollection from assembling it and re-working the fan connectors is that the fan connectors use a Molex with the latch on the short side, while the extruder and thermistor connectors have the latch on the long side. Because the latches don't interfere with each other, you can actually connect the two types of connector, although they won't latch properly, of course. That's what I did, because I didn't have any of the short-side latch connectors and I was impatient and wanted to get my dual extruder working.

For the record, then, the connectors are

Code: Select all

Manufacturer part number        Digi-Key part number               Description
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
     0430250200                       WM1783-ND                Molex 2-position 3mm vertical dual
     0430200201                       WM2761-ND                Molex 2-position 3mm vertical dual
The WM2761-ND is the one that is attached to the fan; the WM1783-ND is the one attached to the cable assembly. As with all Molex connectors of this type, you can fit either male or female pins in either one of these connectors, so it's helpful to know which side takes which crimp pins. I would have to disassemble my dual extruder to find that out right now, so I hope somebody can provide that information, and I'll edit my post accordingly.

The wires for the fans are pretty lightweight, about 26 gauge, I think, so the crimp pin inserts to use are the following:

Code: Select all

Manufacturer part number       Digi-Key part number                 Description
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
     0462355004                       WM2261CT-ND            26-30 gauge female crimp pin insert
     0430310006                       WM2781CT-ND            26-30 gauge male crimp pin insert
I listed Digi-Key part numbers because that's where I usually order these things from. I don't really understand how, but Digi-Key manages to get things to me faster than Amazon Prime.

Lateralg

Post by Lateralg » Mon Sep 01, 2014 11:18 pm

Tim,

Thanks for the lead to Digi-Key. They appear to be a first-class outfit, willing to sell small quantities to average folks at good prices.
Here's what I ordered.
DigiKey-Order1.jpg
DigiKey-Order1.jpg (45.59 KiB) Viewed 9252 times
Gary
Make Better Things
Make Things Better

Tim

Post by Tim » Tue Sep 02, 2014 3:19 am

Don't forget the crimp pins. The connectors you have in the screen capture are just plastic shells. Of course, you may have plenty of crimp pins lying around (I know I do); I'm just checking.

And, again, only the top two are the ones used for the fans, with the latch on the short side of the connector. The other two are used for the thermistor and heater. MakerGear has very helpfully put the connector types one way for the thermistor and the other way for the heater, making it impossible to plug them in the wrong way. Likewise, the use of the different latch style on the fans makes it easier to avoid cross-connecting the fan to something else, and the use of the latch on the connector (as opposed to the simple headers they were using for the fans a year and a half ago) makes it easier to avoid connecting the fan backwards and having it run in reverse.

Molex connectors are very well designed, but oh, I hate those little crimp pins. . .

Lateralg

Post by Lateralg » Tue Sep 02, 2014 5:29 pm

Tim wrote:Don't forget the crimp pins. The connectors you have in the screen capture are just plastic shells. Of course, you may have plenty of crimp pins lying around (I know I do); I'm just checking.
I have plenty ... leftovers from Prusa build.
MakerGear has very helpfully put the connector types one way for the thermistor and the other way for the heater, making it impossible to plug them in the wrong way. Likewise, the use of the different latch style on the fans makes it easier to avoid cross-connecting the fan to something else, and the use of the latch on the connector (as opposed to the simple headers they were using for the fans a year and a half ago) makes it easier to avoid connecting the fan backwards and having it run in reverse.
Yep. MG does a LOT of things right.
Molex connectors are very well designed, but oh, I hate those little crimp pins. . .
Spawn of the Devil.

What software did you use to get your screen captures pasted here?
Gary
Make Better Things
Make Things Better